Consolidation ideas!

rory4881

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo, by way of a little update, I have ordered a few parts; 2x e5 2670's, Asrock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 MOBO, RM850x PSU, 2x Hyper 212's, Phanket Enthoo Pro White case.

Am going to see how the case is before I order additional fans.

I have a best offer being reviewed on RAM, so that will come soon too.

As I have the core of the build ordered, or close to ordered, I need to look at the Hackintosh VM side of things.

Would a USB sound card for audio be my best bet?

Any suggestions on a OSX compatible GPU that will run 2/3 screens?

With the lack of peripherals on the board, should I be looking at a USB pci-e card?

Thanks!

Soooo, by way of a little update, I have ordered a few parts; 2x e5 2670's, Asrock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16 MOBO, RM850x PSU, 2x Hyper 212's, Phanket Enthoo Pro White case.

Am going to see how the case is before I order additional fans.

I have a best offer being reviewed on RAM, so that will come soon too.

As I have the core of the build ordered, or close to ordered, I need to look at the Hackintosh VM side of things.

Would a USB sound card for audio be my best bet?

Any suggestions on a OSX compatible GPU that will run 2/3 screens?

With the lack of peripherals on the board, should I be looking at a USB pci-e card?

Thanks!

I would just use the hdmi sound of the gpu . For ease of use you can just use a usb audio. The Sabrent External Sound Box USB-SBCV is meant to work well and is only £6  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469190845&sr=8-1&keywords=Sabrent+External+Sound+Box+USB-SBCV

As regards 2 or 3 displays I have not tried that so cant talk from experiance. But base what you buy on what people have got to work on hackintoshs already. It should be no different being a vm. http://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/july/2016#Graphics_Cards

Remember if you use an nvidea gpu and it is your primary card in the server  ie no on board video and in pcie 1 then you will have problems passing it through and you will need to read here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43644.msg482110#msg482110

Hmmm, I have heard issues with the 650ti, but that's what I've been running in the hack for ages.

Should give that a shot first?

I've also not seen much about the r9 380 being passed through. For a win10 vm, not OS X.

Any thoughts?

I'll also go with the usb audio card, as hdmi audio is notoriously tricky on the hack.

I'm pretty excited by the case. Most things have been rackmounted for me recently.

Few bits have arrived. Need a couple more.

Any good suggestions on a USB card, or on a 5.25==>3.25 caddy for 3-4 HDDS?

Hey rory4881,

From my build the Icy-Dock MB975SP-B 5 Drive Hotswap Flexcage (£113.63) looks very good.cthe on I've priced is from scan.co.uk. I don't need mine quite yet, plus it's a 5 drive hotswap.

Cheers,

David

No issues at all.  Just add the disks you want to include to the array BEFORE you assign any parity disks.

The order in which you assign them is completely irrelevant -- doesn't matter whether you're going to use one or two parity disks; as long as you assign the data disks BEFORE you assign your parity disks you'll be fine.

I think I get it.

But for 100% clarity, if I pull all my drives from the old server and add in a second parity drive, if I make note of all the data drives and set them as data drives first, then the 2pariy drives that I know have no data on the, and then set as parity I will be ready to rock n roll?

Not quite => you assign all of your data drives before you assign ANY parity drive.    Then you can assign both of your parity drives; and when you Start the array it will do a parity sync on your entire array.

Be CERTAIN that you assign the correct drives as parity.

What you MAY want to do is assign all of your data drives with NO parity assigned;  then Start the array and confirm that you see all of your data -- and that no drive shows as "unformatted"  (If any do, you've assigned a drive that's either new or that was previously used as parity).

When you're confident you've got all the data drives assigned correctly, THEN you can Stop the array; assign your parity drive (or drives); and then when you Start the array it will do a parity sync.

• 4 weeks later...

Bank Holiday weekend here in the UK, Have finally had time to put the beast together.

I have loaded up my old machine, so everything looks good.

Seeing 32 cores in the main section is a noticeable difference though!

Massive issue though! On info button, IOMMU is disabled.

Virtualisation is saying it is supported in BIOS.

Ideas on first troubleshooting idea?

hmmmmm, strange.

In the Bios i get:

intel TXT(lt-sx) Dependencies

The following must be supported and enabled.

VT-D Support        Disabled

VT Support          Enabled

TPM Support        Disabled

TPM State            Disabled

From builds on here, I should have a passthrough capable machine?!?