Couch potato and sonarr

DZMM

I'm getting ready to setup my first unraid server.  At the moment I use couch potato,sabnzbd, deluge and sonarr in a w8 machine behind a VPN as my ISP blocks almost all of the indexers.

I want use dockers/plugins when I move to unraid.  I've found delugevpn so I'm covered there, and sabnzbd isn't a problem but I can't find a way to setup cp and sonarr.

Is there a way to run them in a VPN?  A proxy alone isn't enough as my ISP blocks.

Any pointers??

I've been trying to research this all day and the best possible solution I've come up with is getting a dd-wrt router and putting everything through a VPN running on that, except for things like Plex...I'm hoping there's an alternative as it'll be enough device to maintain and might through up other problems e.g getting my IPTV service to work, plex clients seeing server on same network etc etc

Another option is to run DelugeVPN and SabnzbdVPN on Unraid using my PIA VPN and then have vypervpn+Sonarr+CP running on one of my W10 VMs.  Not a 'perfect' solution, but it will work.

Set up DelugeVPN with your vpn service. DelugeVPN includes privoxy, so you can just point sonarr and cp to the privoxy ip:port.

Q4. What is the purpose of Privoxy?

A4. Privoxy is a non-caching web proxy with filtering capabilities for enhancing privacy, manipulating cookies and modifying web page data and HTTP headers before the page is rendered by the browser. In practise what this gives you by including it in the same container as the VPN tunnel is that you can bypass any filtering that maybe present by your ISP by simply configuring your browser to use the proxy server.

This is achieved by sending and receiving all data via the VPN tunnel, think of Privoxy as a middle man who will route traffic for you from your LAN over the VPN tunnel and back again. The other uses as well as simple web browsing is certain applications can also be told to use the proxy when downloading metadata, such as nzb or torrent files from index sites, as some ISP's may block certain index sites this is an extremely useful feature.

Set up DelugeVPN with your vpn service. DelugeVPN includes privoxy, so you can just point sonarr and cp to the privoxy ip:port.

Q4. What is the purpose of Privoxy?

A4. Privoxy is a non-caching web proxy with filtering capabilities for enhancing privacy, manipulating cookies and modifying web page data and HTTP headers before the page is rendered by the browser. In practise what this gives you by including it in the same container as the VPN tunnel is that you can bypass any filtering that maybe present by your ISP by simply configuring your browser to use the proxy server.

This is achieved by sending and receiving all data via the VPN tunnel, think of Privoxy as a middle man who will route traffic for you from your LAN over the VPN tunnel and back again. The other uses as well as simple web browsing is certain applications can also be told to use the proxy when downloading metadata, such as nzb or torrent files from index sites, as some ISP's may block certain index sites this is an extremely useful feature.

Wow, that's brilliant and so easy - if I'm reading this correctly it means I can selectively choose what apps go through the VPN e.g sonarr, cp, web browsers in VMs and what doesn't e.g. Plex.

Thanks

Yup, as long as the application support the use of a proxy it's possible. I know cp support it but sonarr I don't know since I don't use it. But if they don't support it you could think about replacing sonarr with SickRage which do support proxies and it does the same thing as sonarr. Or just run sonarr and vpn in a vm as a last resort.