unRaid and eSata + Icy Box IB-3664SU3

When I was looking for an eSATA enclosure to expand my HP Microserver Gen8 I looked at that one from Icy Box and rejected it because it only supports 3 Gb/s eSATA. I chose the ICYCube MB561U3S-4SB from Icy Dock instead, which supports 6 Gb/s eSATA. A suitable eSATA card is one that supports the FIS-based port multiplier used in the enclosure. I chose an IOCREST (SYBA) SI-PEX40063, which provides two internal 6 Gb/s SATA ports and two external 6 Gb/s eSATA ports and needs two PCIe lanes. There's the cheaper SI-PEX40065, which only requires a x1 slot. I chose the x2 card because I planned on using the two internal ports (for cache SSDs) as well as one of the external ones and the HP Gen8 has just a single x16 slot. I keep the parity drive (only one at the moment - this server is running 6.1.9) on the internal controller and only have data drives on the port multiplier and everyday performance is excellent. Parity checks are slowed a little by the overheads and the fact that four disks are sharing a single 6 Gb/s link (my reason for rejecting 3 Gb/s eSATA) but I'm very happy with the setup. The only downside is the cost of the ICYCube - almost as much as a second Gen8, but similar to the Icy Box.

I don't think there is such a thing as a mini SAS to eSATA cable but I'm happy to be proved wrong. I did Google the term and it came up with this which is clearly wrong as it's the SAS end that's external while the SATA end is internal. On the other hand I do know that cables with a SATA connector on one end and an eSATA connector on the other exist.

Thanks you!

I have an internal SAS-Card so i thought to buy an miniSAS to eSata Cable i think that should work or? Will such a case have an impact on the performance?

It's a rare cable but it does exist:

http://www.wahsondg.com/product/product.php?lang=en&itemid=143

Note however that this would be a good option if the external case had 4 eSATA ports, since you'll only be using one port it's considerably cheaper to use a SATA to eSATA cable.