Moving 14TB of data

m.b.d

My current unraid server is an older box thats starting to really show its age.  Its running Unraid 4.7.

I've just finished building a new Unraid server downloaded and setup the lastest version of unraid.  Now its time to move all my data from my old server to the new one.  They are connected on a hardwired lan.  Whats the best way to move the data from old to new over the network?  I noticed sync is part of the free docker apps but it looks like its setup for torrent work.

Thanks for all the help and great support over the years.

why not just move over the hds ?

Really not an option new server has 6 sata ports old server has 16 ports and using all 16 drives.

You can use rsync like so:

rsync -avAXP -e ssh root@source-ip-address:/mnt/user/Source-share/* /mnt/user/Dest-share

I'll try this, this will copy the data not move it correct (keeping original data on old server)?

I'll try this, this will copy the data not move it correct (keeping original data on old server)?

Correct, if you prefer to move add to the command:

--remove-source-files

thx for the quick reply,  I'll keep the data on the old server until I confirm its all moved over.

You can use rsync like so:

rsync -avAXP -e ssh root@source-ip-address:/mnt/user/Source-share/* /mnt/user/Dest-share

Logged into the new server via Telnet and tried to run the command

root@UNRAID:~# rsync -avAXP -e ssh [email protected]:/mnt/user/Backups/* /mnt/user/Backups

ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.10 port 22: Connection refused

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]

rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.0]

root@UNRAID:~# 

How do i enable the connection on my old server?  Or how do i add the root password to the command if thats causing the issue?

Been on v6 so long, forgot v5 has no SSH, IIRC there was a plugin.

what is an IIRC plugin?  I did a search and read several threads but nothing related to plugins that I could tell? 

Thanks for all the help

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

That acronym has been around on the internet since before the web was invented.