How the Cache Mover works in relation to storing VM vdisks on cache?

666gene

Hi guys im new to unraid just got the pro licence and was wondering if you guys can give me the lowdown on How the Cache Mover works in relation to storing VM vdisks on cache? the cache gets moved nightly to array. whats best practice to leave the vdisk on the cache? by default i noticed domains/system/appdata and set to "prefer" option? wont this mean it will be moved nightly? fyi also i plan to purchase a second cache drive later to make a cache pool in raid 1 for vm redundncy.

sorry if this is a noob question as i just wanted to make sure im doing best practice.

Hi guys im new to unraid just got the pro licence and was wondering if you guys can give me the lowdown on How the Cache Mover works in relation to storing VM vdisks on cache? the cache gets moved nightly to array. whats best practice to leave the vdisk on the cache? by default i noticed domains/system/appdata and set to "prefer" option? wont this mean it will be moved nightly? fyi also i plan to purchase a second cache drive later to make a cache pool in raid 1 for vm redundncy.

sorry if this is a noob question as i just wanted to make sure im doing best practice.

"Prefer" means that if there's files on the array, then they will get moved to the cache drive.

Anything that you explicitly don't want moved to the array, set the share to be "cache-only"

in this case adding a second cache drive ill be able to make a cache pool? iv seen a few people just managing the ssd outside the array with SNAP.

Yes (but make sure your existing cache drive is set up as btrfs - if not you'll have to reformat it when it comes time to make the pool)

SNAP is deprecated.  Unassigned Devices is the replacement.  But yes, many people make due without redundancy for VM's.