Marshal 8TB Hard Drives? $180!

Marshal 8TB 5400RPM 128MB Cache SATA?(6.0Gb/s) 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Near Line Model 128MB Cache 5400rpm MAL38000SA-T54. Other than the listing I stumbled across on Amazon US, all Google returns is all Japanese web sites. New MFG or rebranded somebody (Toshiba "accidently" in description)?

https://www.amazon.com/Marshal-5400RPM-Internal-MAL38000SA-T54-Especia%EF%BD%8Cly/dp/B01EAHL6V0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474843682&sr=1-2&refinements=p_89%3AMarshal

Marshal 8TB 5400RPM 128MB Cache SATA?(6.0Gb/s) 3.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive Near Line Model 128MB Cache 5400rpm MAL38000SA-T54. Other than the listing I stumbled across on Amazon US, all Google returns is all Japanese web sites. New MFG or rebranded somebody (Toshiba "accidently" in description)?

https://www.amazon.com/Marshal-5400RPM-Internal-MAL38000SA-T54-Especia%EF%BD%8Cly/dp/B01EAHL6V0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1474843682&sr=1-2&refinements=p_89%3AMarshal

If you google the part #, you will see a picture of it which clearly shows its a rebranded drive.  Which ultimately means that any warranty (is there one? couldn't find any mention of it) is with Marshall themselves.

But, caveat emptor:  30 day reviews are 67% negative, shipping is free (which more or less means that its coming from China), and they are really stressing about how much improved their packaging is (a drive wrapped with a single layer of bubble wrap and stuffed in an exact sized box according to the picture)  Yeah, that's how I'd want to ship a drive across the world via the post office.

uhm, pretty sure a made in Japan drive would not come from China, and since I can get same day delivery where ever they were bulk shipped from, they are now sitting in Amazon warehouses like the ones down the street from my house.

I wish they were made in China as another serious manufacturer is needed. These look to be rebranded Toshiba, very much Hitachi split off.

If you google the part #, you will see a picture of it which clearly shows its a rebranded drive.  Which ultimately means that any warranty (is there one? couldn't find any mention of it) is with Marshall themselves.

But, caveat emptor:  30 day reviews are 67% negative, shipping is free (which more or less means that its coming from China), and they are really stressing about how much improved their packaging is (a drive wrapped with a single layer of bubble wrap and stuffed in an exact sized box according to the picture)  Yeah, that's how I'd want to ship a drive across the world via the post office.

Yeah their Amazon customer score is through the floor. Surprised Amz hasn't suspended them.

Amazon wants $318.95 for the superb WD Red 8TB units (helium-sealed, VERY good performance).

That's about $50/drive less than I paid for the ones I have; so the price is heading in the right direction ... although I certainly don't expect it to get under $200 anytime soon.

That said, if I needed more 8TB drives, I'd absolutely buy more Reds ... I wouldn't even consider these Marshall units.  Worth an extra $138/drive?  Clearly a personal decision -- but my answer is yes ... the performance; reliability; and warranty are easily worth the extra cost.

Yeah their Amazon customer score is through the floor. Surprised Amz hasn't suspended them.

I don't think being convicted of murdering customers would get someone suspended from Amazon's marketplace.  Fortunately, Amazon's always made things right when I've been burned by a marketplace vendor.

On the other hand, Newegg's got 8tb Seagate "Expansion" externals for $180 with free shipping thru 9/30 with promo code so you can get a trusted-brand drive from a trusted-name vendor.  According to customer reports, they contain ST8000AS0002 drives.  I've run those both as parity and data with no issues.

On the other hand, Newegg's got 8tb Seagate "Expansion" externals for $180 with free shipping thru 9/30 with promo code so you can get a trusted-brand drive from a trusted-name vendor.  According to customer reports, they contain ST8000AS0002 drives.  I've run those both as parity and data with no issues.

This is a somewhat rhetorical question but I have to ask anyway, popping out the drives and using them in an array voids the warranty, correct?  On the drive itself I mean.

Thanks.

This is a somewhat rhetorical question but I have to ask anyway, popping out the drives and using them in an array voids the warranty, correct?  On the drive itself I mean.

Thanks.

Yes.  But if you thoroughly test the drive before you take it out, you'll hopefully avoid any infant mortality issues.  A lot of folks do this to save the few $$ over the cost of a bare drive -- personally I do not.  Note there can be other issues as well with these drives ... some external drives are set up with small HBA's for various purposes => even though the loss of capacity is trivial, that precludes using the drives as parity, since they'll be smaller than standard internal drives.

Thanks.

Yes the warranty is voided, but I choose to self insure. I am using 10 out of a total of 41 drives that started life inside a external enclosure. When it is time to buy, if I can get an external for $20 cheaper I'll go that route. I bought two of the $180 Seagate Expansion drives and have them running in my main array right now. I ran three three full Smart cycles on each before popping them out of their enclosures.

Self-insuring is always an option.  If you're saving $20/drive, then as long as you don't have more than about a 10% failure rate you'll be ahead in overall cost ... and thoroughly testing before pulling the drive's significantly increases the odds of achieving that (as I noted earlier, that will generally eliminate any infant mortality issues -- and most drives that get past that stage will indeed last for several years).

Some folks do effectively the same thing by buying the lower-end drives, which still provides some warranty, but for a shorter period of time ...

e.g.  a 4TB WD Blue costs $130 and is warranted for 2 years vs. $150 for a 4TB Red with a 3 year warranty.

I would avoid any product from a company that has a 50% negative rating on Amazon -- warranty or not.

Spend a few more $$ and get a reliable brand.  Personally, every drive I've bought for my servers in the past 3 years has been a WD Red ... 3TB, 4TB, and 8TB units.  ZERO failures in over 30 drives in service (although I did have one that failed my initial testing and I RMA'd it for a new one).

While it's always good to get a "deal" on things, hard drives to store your data are NOT an area where you should be solely focused on price.    Buy quality drives -- even if they cost a bit more.  The savings in frustration are easily worth a few extra $$

<< Learning this the hard way.

Haven't seen the he8's as low as $350 ... but they ARE superb drives.    The 8TB WD Reds are essentially the same drives at a lower rpm and with a shorter warranty ... but the HGST he8's give you both faster speed (7200 rpm) and a longer warranty -- and if you can get them at that kind of price they are indeed a VERY good value.  At the moment they're $437 at Amazon and $459 at Newegg.

... Found the HGST HE8's for $367 at Provantage ... so it does indeed look like $350 is a "doable" price if you look long enough.    This is only about $50 more than an 8TB Red ... or about $6/TB more for the higher speed and longer warranty.  The only downside is that they run faster, which translates to a bit more power draw and more heat -- but if you need (or want) the higher speed that's likely not an issue.

Haven't seen the he8's as low as $350 ... but they ARE superb drives.    The 8TB WD Reds are essentially the same drives at a lower rpm and with a shorter warranty ... but the HGST he8's give you both faster speed (7200 rpm) and a longer warranty -- and if you can get them at that kind of price they are indeed a VERY good value.  At the moment they're $437 at Amazon and $459 at Newegg.

Hi Gary, yeah I was mainly referring to ebay.  There is usually at least a couple sellers on there selling brand new he8's with manufacturers warranty for around $350 or less. 

Either way the WD red 8tb is excellent.  I have a few of those also and they've been great.

I got my 8TB drives out of WD MyBook drives.  I paid £190 for them, which is a lot cheaper than 8TB Reds.  I've had no problems with them at all, and they run totally silently.

Obviously there's no warranty with them now I gutted them out of their case, but they're cheap enough that I don't care about that.