guide for Win 7 for 6.2?

jknight

1 Click the windows 7 icon

2 Select how many cpu cores you want to use.

3 Select how much ram you want to use.

4 Leave the vdisk as auto unless you understand it.

5 Select VNC as the graphics card to get the os setup.

6 Click create at the bottom.

Once the vm has created you will see it running under the vm tab. Click the icon and choose VNC Remote.

When trying to install windows you will find it can't find the harddrive /vdisk. this is because windows needs a few drivers.

You should see "Load Driver" on the left. Install the following 1 by 1:

1 Install the NetKVM driver

2 Install the vioserial driver

3 Install the viostor driver

Finally complete the install of windows.

Thanks.  I did try populating the required fields, create and launch the VM, and the windows install would get past the first "loading files" screen, get to the windows logo, and then freeze up.  I tried different settings, and finally found that changing the Hyper-V to false (I think, I am going off memory here), and it got a bit further, but it still gets stuck on the windows logo, though the logo looks like its alive (its glowing brigher and dims), but never gets past that part.  So I don't know whats going on, and though maybe I was missing something.  When I created VMs in the 6.0 or 6.1, I found a guide here with lots of steps including setting up the networking it needed.  Your steps make it seem super simple now, but something isn't going right.

Thanks.  I did try populating the required fields, create and launch the VM, and the windows install would get past the first "loading files" screen, get to the windows logo, and then freeze up.  I tried different settings, and finally found that changing the Hyper-V to false (I think, I am going off memory here), and it got a bit further, but it still gets stuck on the windows logo, though the logo looks like its alive (its glowing brigher and dims), but never gets past that part.  So I don't know whats going on, and though maybe I was missing something.  When I created VMs in the 6.0 or 6.1, I found a guide here with lots of steps including setting up the networking it needed.  Your steps make it seem super simple now, but something isn't going right.

I am having the same problem.

I have an Supermicro C7X99 with an Intel Xeon E5 in it and I get the "loading files" then the "Starting Windows" and it just hangs there with the logo pulsing.

Really trying to get this working so if anyone has any input that would be greatly appreciated!!

Windows 7 setup doesn't like QXL for the VNC video driver.  Change to cirrus.  You might be able to switch back after it is setup.  I have some VMs that were setup before there WAS a QXL driver on earlier unRAID versions.  QXL works fine for me on those VMs but I wasn't able to setup a NEW VM when QXL was set as the VNC video driver.

Windows 7 setup doesn't like QXL for the VNC video driver.  Change to cirrus.  You might be able to switch back after it is setup.  I have some VMs that were setup before there WAS a QXL driver on earlier unRAID versions.  QXL works fine for me on those VMs but I wasn't able to setup a NEW VM when QXL was set as the VNC video driver.

You sir are a freaking god send.  I have been playing with this for the better part of 2 days (on and off while not doing real work) and my google fu was failing me.

This needs to be in the docs somewhere as the OP and myself can't be the only ones that have run into this.

Thanks again!!!