[SOLVED] Adding new drive - instructions don't add up

HDRW

I am looking to replace a slower (5400rpm) drive with a faster (7200) one, and also change the disk format from ReiserFS to XFS.  I understand I'll have to add a new disk and copy the data, as the format can't be changed in place.

Trying to follow the "Add One or More New Disks" instructions in "UnRAID_Manual_6", it says:

Stop the array.

Power down the server.

Install your new hard drive(s).

Power up the unit.

Start the array.

Which I've done.  The new disk is shown as Unassigned, as expected.

The instructions then say:

"When you Start the array, the system will first format the new disk(s). When this operation finishes, all the data disks, including the new one(s), will be exported and be available for use. "

but there's no sign of this happening - the new disk is just sitting there unassigned.  (Not sure what it means by "exported"!  And as it's unassigned, I can't see why it would be added to the array without me doing it).

I looked around further, and found "UnRAID_6/Storage_Management" which, again under adding a new disk:

Stop the array.

Power down the server.

Install your new hard drive(s).

Power up the unit.

Assign the new storage device to a disk slot using the unRAID webGui.

Start the array.

And then:

"When you Start the array, the system will mount the disk and automatically begin to clear the disk which is required before it can be added to the array."

Well I tried that, and after assigning the new disk to the array there was no "Start" button, only "Clear", implying that the array has to be down while this happens (many hours for 2TB - unacceptable for what is my main server).

So I'm rather confused by two sets of instructions, neither of which work as they are written!

Where do I go from here, please?

This it UnRAID version 6.1.9 on an HP Microserver.

Cheers,

Howard

Many people still use preclear to test disks even though the latest version will clear a disk with the array online. Drive manufacturers also have disk testing software free for download.

Have you tested your new disk? Every bit of every disk must be trustworthy because every bit of every disk is required when a disk needs to be rebuilt. Also an extended test period can help eliminate infant mortality.