No Video from Asrock C236 WSI MB

I ordered some parts to upgrade my unRAID server.  They finally all arrived.  My problem is that there is no video output from the board so I cannot enter bios to configure for usb flash boot and other essential tweaks.

While awaiting a reply from Asrock, perhaps someone here has an idea as to what I can check.  Here is what I sent to Asrock:

No video from onboard VGA. Cannot enter BIOS to configure.  VGA monitor is blank and power button flashes to indicate no video signal is being received at the monitor. Xeon E3-1245 V5 has onboard video.  Board will boot, fans spin for several seconds and then it restarts and remains running until I shut it down.  I currently do not have a BIOS speaker connected to onboard speaker header so I do not hear any BIOS error beeps if there are any.  I have ordered a motherboard speaker.  I also do not have a spare video card (without removing from a working PC) to test if a PCI-E video card will produce video.  Again, I have ordered one for testing and as a spare.

I have tried booting with one stick of RAM (Crucial 16GB ECC DDR4-2133 unbuffered) in each of the two RAM slots.  I have tried each RAM stick in each of the slots.

unRAID OS boots from USB flash drive, but, I cannot enter BIOS to configure for USB boot and to configure other settings as there is no video output from the board.  There is no OS installed on any of the five hard drives or SSD in the system as this is a NAS server and hard drives are purely for media/file storage and SSD is for system apps installation and configuration.

The relevant components are the following:

Asrock C236 WSI motherboard

Crucial CT16G4WFD8213 (2x16GB) DDR4-2133 ECC unbuffered RAM

Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 CPU (integrated graphics)

Hmmm, looks likes there are three bent pins in the upper left corner of the CPU socket.  Must have happened when installing the Noctua CPU fan.  Apparently, the Skylake CPUs have a much thinner substrate than previous CPU generations and are subject to flexing and bending CPU pins when third-party coolers are installed with "too much" pressure.  Now I have to see if I can straighten these pins without breaking them and try booting the board again.

2zzoiyw.jpg

Hmmm, looks likes there are three bent pins in the upper left corner of the CPU socket.

In my experience, this is caused by not setting the CPU straight down into the socket. By allowing one side of the CPU to touch the pins first it seems to push them off to the side a little. Extreme care is needed to settle the CPU straight down into the socket evenly.

On a good note, I've had very good luck straightening those pins and recovering with no ill effects. A good 6" glass magnifying glass with a strong lamp or a jeweler's loupe help a great deal. Make sure you examine them from multiple angles to match the good pins identically.