BetaQuasi

ESXi 5.x - pre-built VMDK for unRAID

389 posts in this topic Last Reply

11 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

is there an easier way to mount over net to esxi

i have one unRAID VM that boots from vmdk and this vmdk shows in unRAID as Unassigned device. as i have unassigned devices plugin, i can easy mount it in unRAID.

one more thing to prove: on ESXi VM configuration under Advanced settings, have you enabled this option: disk.EnableUUID = "TRUE"?

1 hour ago, uldise said:

i have one unRAID VM that boots from vmdk and this vmdk shows in unRAID as Unassigned device. as i have unassigned devices plugin, i can easy mount it in unRAID.

one more thing to prove: on ESXi VM configuration under Advanced settings, have you enabled this option: disk.EnableUUID = "TRUE"?

@uldise, I do not see that ESXi setting under VM > Settings  anywhere. Is this a ESXi globa advanced setting? Nor do I see my vmdk as an unassigned disk with the unraid Unassigned drives plugin.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, guruleenyc said:

Aside from taking unraid vm offline, downloading the vmdk and mounting it with winimage for bz* file injection, is there an easier way to mount over net to esxi?

No need to download. You can just assign the vmdk (after you powered down unRAID) to another VM - could be Windows, could be Linux, whatever - and you will see the device as a new HDD on that VM, upon which time you can copy stuff to your heart's content. As long as you don't boot from the VMDK that is 🙂

Edited by doron

5 hours ago, doron said:

No need to download. You can just assign the vmdk (after you powered down unRAID) to another VM - could be Windows, could be Linux, whatever - and you will see the device as a new HDD on that VM, upon which time you can copy stuff to your heart's content. As long as you don't boot from the VMDK that is 🙂

@doron,

Derr! I must be getting rusty! Why didn't I think of that?! LOL

Posted (edited)

@doron, @uldise

I powered down the unraid vm and mounted the vmdk on another vm and copied in all the bz* files. Booted up and it successfully upgraded!

BUT my cache drive is offline and unmountable stating: 

Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout 

Any ideas?

Edited by guruleenyc

10 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

@doron, @uldise

I powered down the unraid vm and mounted the vmdk on another vm and copied in all the bz* files. Booted up and it successfully upgraded!

Any ideas?

Check this out.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

@doron, @uldise

Any ideas?

@doron,

If I downgrade back to 6.3.2, then boot up and copy all my cache contents to disk1 of array, then re-upgrade to 6.5.2 and format cache drive. Will copying the cache contents back from disk1 recovery my cache and installed dockers?

[mention=8006]doron[/mention],

If I downgrade back to 6.3.2, then boot up and copy all my cache contents to disk1 of array, then re-upgrade to 6.5.2 and format cache drive. Will copying the cache contents back from disk1 recovery my cache and installed dockers?
I see you have read the thread I pointed you at :-) Seems like you should be fine without a downgrade. Remove -> attach with UA -> copy -> attach as cache -> format -> copy back.

Please report results for posterity...
  • Like 1

I see you have read the thread I pointed you at :-) Seems like you should be fine without a downgrade. Remove -> attach with UA -> copy -> attach as cache -> format -> copy back.

Please report results for posterity...
Yes! :-) is going to perform those steps today.

Thank you for all the guidance! I'll report back with outcome.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, doron said:

Check this out.

@doron, I was able to complete the upgrade to 6.5.2 and copy my cache contents to disk1 as a backup. BUT I am not able format the cache drive after starting array. The format starts and then seems to finish quickly. However, the drive fs is the same (btrfs) and the old contents are still on the drive. 

How can I force a format on the cache drive?

1 hour ago, guruleenyc said:

@doron, I was able to complete the upgrade to 6.5.2 and copy my cache contents to disk1 as a backup. BUT I am not able format the cache drive after starting array. The format starts and then seems to finish quickly. However, the drive fs is the same (btrfs) and the old contents are still on the drive. 

How can I force a format on the cache drive?

Let me ask a very stupid question: does the cache drive mount okay now? Cuz if it does, then problem solved, right?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, doron said:

Let me ask a very stupid question: does the cache drive mount okay now? Cuz if it does, then problem solved, right?

It mounts fine, I perform format and it seems to finish quickly. It then still shows mounted. I reboot and it then shows not able to mount message .

UPDATE: After using Preclear, re-mounting and re-formatting again, then rebooting it seems to be mounting properly now. Copying cache contents back over from disk1 to cache drive...

UPDATE: Cache contents copied back from disk1 to cache drive and started docker service, PRESTO! I'm fully upgraded and operational with all dockers and appdata intact.

Thanks @doron and @uldise

Edited by guruleenyc

3 minutes ago, guruleenyc said:

It mounts fine, I perform format and it seems to finish quickly. It then still shows mounted. I reboot and it then shows not able to mount message 

Ouch. In your shoes I would now smash the partition table on that drive, and let unRAID format it as new.

(there might be a mighty simpler way to resolve the partition table alignment thing in unRAID - I'm just not sure what that would be - maybe it's time to summon @bonienl to the table?...)

How do you go about doing that? Well first you need to know (with absolute certainty!) what is the device name given to your cache drive. Wrong move here and you kill a live drive. Let's assume it is /dev/sdh (I'm making this up - please check).

Now: 

1. Stop the array, remove the cache drive from it.

2. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdh bs=1M count=1 

(please please make sure it's the right dev. Also, /dev/sdh and not /dev/sdh1)

3. Reassign the cache drive and start it. It now has no partition table, so one needs to be created upon formatting - hopefully a good one :-)