stottle

docker compose?

58 posts in this topic Last Reply

Docker compose added to the nerd pack plugin (link two posts above) 

• Like 1

I'd like to see this added as well. I see that it's added to the nerd pack plugin but I would like to be able to do a docker compose from the docker tab. My understanding is through the plugin it's all CLI based.

47 minutes ago, CrashnBrn said:

I'd like to see this added as well. I see that it's added to the nerd pack plugin but I would like to be able to do a docker compose from the docker tab. My understanding is through the plugin it's all CLI based.

Unraid already developed dockerman which does almost the same thing. It's not realistic to expect them to duplicate efforts by building a gui for docker compose. 

Docker compose itself is all cli based. There is no official gui for it. You supply the yaml config file and that's it. 

26 minutes ago, aptalca said:

Unraid already developed dockerman which does almost the same thing. It's not realistic to expect them to duplicate efforts by building a gui for docker compose. 

Docker compose itself is all cli based. There is no official gui for it. You supply the yaml config file and that's it. 

Sorry I'm a bit confused. If I install docker compose, can I change the docker run command for that container to use docker compose instead of docker run? So I can control the container in the GUI the same way as the other containers (including autostart)?

AFAIK, you use docker compose to manage those containers not dockerman.  Either/or

dockerMan and docker compose serve a similar purpose: to avoid long "run" commands and make it simpler to manage containers.

dockerMan is GUI based and together with the prefab templates it provides the unRAID solution to manage containers in an easy way.

docker compose is CLI based and requires yaml files to manage containers. Both can be used next to each other, but a GUI based docker compose solution doesn't exist nor won't be developed, because there is already dockerMan.

Posted (edited)

I'd like something like this. Both to easily reuse Docker Compose setups, but also to be able to group applications together in the Unraid UI. Atm it feels like Unraid promotes bad Docker practice by making it way easier bundling all the services of an app in a single container instead of doing one service per container. If the GUI supported making apps consisting of several containers it would be easier to work with the general best practices. Depending on the UI novice users might not even have to worry about how many containers the app consists of.

unraid_docker_apps.thumb.JPG.a8e3f69db09d7949a0fc69b2a1c0fc6b.JPG

unraid_docker_apps_open.thumb.JPG.b61887aeefb79f5194a7c27c0d59819b.JPG

Edited by JimL
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

+1 To group countainers and docker-compose import