Joe L.

cache_dirs - an attempt to keep directory entries in RAM to prevent disk spin-up

837 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 1/13/2018 at 3:23 AM, Necrotic said:

Did anyone else have issues with cachedirs going nuts and pegging one cpu to 100% forever? It happens rarely but over the past year or something had it happen twice.

I went into settings, disabled it and re-enabled and it fixed it.

i just found my machine doing that on a 6.3.5.

It has been consuming 104 hours so just over 4 days since it went bananas.

So i guess i have the same problem with high cpu.

I now set included dirs to the real dirs i wanna chache. Maybe that fixes the problem. Ill report back. Till now i can say my CPU is down from 30-40% to <10%. So it changed something.

Edited by nuhll

I renamed a couple shares and I'm seeing this in my log.  How do I correct?  When I go into settings, the old directories are not in the list.

Jan 26 16:40:25 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------
Jan 26 16:40:25 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "DocArchive" does not exist.
Jan 26 16:40:25 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "ISO\ Files" does not exist.
Jan 26 16:40:26 HunterNAS cache_dirs: cache_dirs process ID 9360 started

Thanks!

45 minutes ago, jeffreywhunter said:

I renamed a couple shares and I'm seeing this in my log.  How do I correct?  When I go into settings, the old directories are not in the list.

Jan 26 16:40:25 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ----------------------------------------------
Jan 26 16:40:25 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "DocArchive" does not exist.
Jan 26 16:40:25 HunterNAS cache_dirs: ERROR: included directory "ISO\ Files" does not exist.
Jan 26 16:40:26 HunterNAS cache_dirs: cache_dirs process ID 9360 started

Thanks!

Wow, the same thing as you reported in March 1, 2017, might want to try the same thing this year and see if it works.

4 hours ago, c3 said:

Wow, the same thing as you reported in March 1, 2017, might want to try the same thing this year and see if it works.

Hey thanks for the suggestion.  But I had already tired that again when the error showed up this time.  Yep, it worked then and cleared the log, but when it showed up again this time the error continues (and why did it come back?).  So apologies for a terse post, should have included that history, will try to do better next time.

3 hours ago, jeffreywhunter said:

Hey thanks for the suggestion.  But I had already tired that again when the error showed up this time.  Yep, it worked then and cleared the log, but when it showed up again this time the error continues (and why did it come back?).  So apologies for a terse post, should have included that history, will try to do better next time.

Naw, I am still thinking the config needs to be changed to remove the old directory names, and include the new if you want them.

Maybe i don't understand the purpose of this; but if i start it, all my disks are getting spinned up and are constantly accessed and monitored, never spinning down anymore... i thought this was to PREVENT spinning up disks... removed the plugin, and all my disks are spinned down again.

Did you change any settings?

I enabled it and there was an option 'scan user shares'? i enabled as well, since user shares are the ones i want to keep in memory.

45 minutes ago, jowi said:

I enabled it and there was an option 'scan user shares'? i enabled as well, since user shares are the ones i want to keep in memory.

If you click on "Scan user shares" to see the help you will see it isn't necessary. 

Posted (edited)

Best is to just enable really the directory(s) which you want to browse via smb

Edited by nuhll
  • Upvote 1

On 1/19/2018 at 4:26 PM, nuhll said:

So i guess i have the same problem with high cpu.

I now set included dirs to the real dirs i wanna chache. Maybe that fixes the problem. Ill report back. Till now i can say my CPU is down from 30-40% to <10%. So it changed something.

Sorry, forget to report back. After i added only the directory which i need, everything works perfectly for months.