dlandon

Unassigned Devices - Managing Disk Drives Outside of The unRAID Array

I actually think USB3 is fast enough - but it depends a bit on the controller/processor inside the USB enclosure if the enclosure can take advantage of the full capacity of the USB link.

But there are at least two reasons why I wouldn't recommend it.

- the parity drive in unRAID gets to do much more seeks than what the manufacturer would expect from a normal USB disk. And there isn't much cooling in most USB enclosures.

- having both parity drives connected using a single USB cable to a single USB controller means you lose sync for all your parity if you get a USB glitch. And that glitch is likely to happen at the very moment when you really do need valid parity data to recover some problem with your data drives.

Besides possible performance issues, USB is much worse at error handling, you should get an HBA.

47 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

I believe pwm is right, you need to specify the partition (p1)

This is what I am trying to figure out.  UD has been doing it this way without specifying the partition for a long time.

Jan  9 11:21:50 BackupServer unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/sdg' with 'xfs' filesystem result: meta-data=/dev/sdg1              isize=512    agcount=4, agsize=19535700 blks          =                       sectsz=512   attr=2, projid32bit=1          =                       crc=1        finobt=1, sparse=0, rmapbt=0, reflink=0 data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=78142798, imaxpct=25          =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks naming   =version 2              bsize=4096   ascii-ci=0 ftype=1 log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=38155, version=2          =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none                   extsz=4096   blocks=0, rtextents=0
Jan  9 11:21:53 BackupServer unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/sdg' partition table.
Jan  9 11:21:53 BackupServer kernel: sdg: sdg1
Jan  9 11:21:53 BackupServer unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/sdg:  re-reading partition table

Ok.  I stand corrected.  The log message shows the drive and not the partition.  It is actually formatting /dev/sdg1.  This tells me what is wrong with the nvme format command now.  It needs the partition as nvne0n1p1.

Fix is now coming.

Edited by dlandon

Thank you to those that replied about me using external USB enclosure for parity drives. I've ordered a PCIe SATA card so I can use the drives internally.

9 hours ago, deaerator said:

The update didn't work.

here is the disk log

Jan 8 22:17:01 Tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Jan 8 22:17:32 Tower emhttp: Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_S3ESNX0JC76289K (nvme0n1) 244198552
Jan 8 22:34:08 Tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Jan 8 22:39:47 Tower unassigned.devices: Removing partition '1' from disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 8 22:55:21 Tower unassigned.devices: Removing partition '1' from disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 9 11:11:36 Tower unassigned.devices: Adding disk '/dev/nvme0n1p1'...
Jan 9 11:11:36 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -t precleared -o auto,async,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/nvme0n1p1' '/mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_S3ESNX0JC76289K'
Jan 9 11:11:36 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/nvme0n1p1' failed. Error message: mount: unknown filesystem type 'precleared'
Jan 9 11:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Device '/dev/nvme0n1' block size: 488397168
Jan 9 11:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Clearing partition table of disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 9 11:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Jan 9 11:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1: re-reading partition table
Jan 9 11:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Creating a primary partition on disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 9 11:13:00 Tower unassigned.devices: Creating unRAID compatible mbr on disk '/dev/nvme0n1'.
Jan 9 11:13:01 Tower kernel: nvme0n1: p1
Jan 9 11:13:01 Tower unassigned.devices: Reloading disk '/dev/nvme0n1' partition table.
Jan 9 11:13:01 Tower unassigned.devices: Reload partition table result: /dev/nvme0n1: re-reading partition table
Jan 9 11:13:01 Tower unassigned.devices: Formatting disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem.
Jan 9 11:13:01 Tower unassigned.devices: Format disk '/dev/nvme0n1' with 'xfs' filesystem failed!

Update to 2018.01.09b.  It should format the disk now.

Edited by dlandon

58 minutes ago, PeeBee said:

Thank you to those that replied about me using external USB enclosure for parity drives. I've ordered a PCIe SATA card so I can use the drives internally.

I don't think that card is currently recommended. I'd do some searching on the forum to see what issues you may encounter with a marvell based HBA like that.

36 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I don't think that card is currently recommended. I'd do some searching on the forum to see what issues you may encounter with a marvell based HBA like that.

Found it...

Good catch, thanks.

Some users remarked that Marvell may have patched this problem in later versions of its firmware. I'll give it a shot and report back. 

2 hours ago, dlandon said:

Update to 2018.01.09b.  It should format the disk now.

Thank you.

It works.

:)

I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but here we go.

I'm setting up my first Unraid Server from a machine that used to run Ubuntu server. I'm a bit of a noob and I'm stuck at a critical part of the migration process.

The Ubuntu server had around 6 TB on it so I added two 4 TB drives for the transition and copied over up my 6 TB of data on there. I added the two 3 TB drives to the array.

I planned to use the Unassigned Devices plugin with Krusader to copy the data from the two 4 TB drive to the array but I can't seem to mount the drives. I need a hand to figure out how to mount the devices or migrate the data another way.

Screenshot of the unassigned devices | Logs of the two disks I can't mount

• The 1 TB disk used to be the ubuntu boot drive, it's mounted properly and I can access the data
  • The two 4 TB disks are the one I'm looking to access, the filesystem isn't displayed on the UI but they're ext4 drives formatted in Ubuntu

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help :)

Edited by odrel

4 hours ago, odrel said:

I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to post this but here we go.

I'm setting up my first Unraid Server from a machine that used to run Ubuntu server. I'm a bit of a noob and I'm stuck at a critical part of the migration process.

The Ubuntu server had around 6 TB on it so I added two 4 TB drives for the transition and copied over up my 6 TB of data on there. I added the two 3 TB drives to the array.

I planned to use the Unassigned Devices plugin with Krusader to copy the data from the two 4 TB drive to the array but I can't seem to mount the drives. I need a hand to figure out how to mount the devices or migrate the data another way.

Screenshot of the unassigned devices | Logs of the two disks I can't mount

• The 1 TB disk used to be the ubuntu boot drive, it's mounted properly and I can access the data
  • The two 4 TB disks are the one I'm looking to access, the filesystem isn't displayed on the UI but they're ext4 drives formatted in Ubuntu

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help :)

UD does not recognize the file system on the drives.  Were the drives in a raid array?

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

UD does not recognize the file system on the drives.  Were the drives in a raid array?

Not at all, they were formatted using the Ubuntu disk utility. I'm trying to boot on a Ubuntu live USB right now to see if I can mount them.

So I booted on a live USB of lubuntu and couldn't mount the drive because of a permission issue, put the drives on 777 and was able to mount them and browse their content, it didn't help for Unraid though.

I did however notice that for some reason, Ubuntu apparently didn't create a partition table for the disks, here is how GParted displays it. I don't know much but I think this could be the cause of the issue?

Can I create a partition table without compromising the data on the disk?

EDIT: An alternative solution could be to just copy the content of the 4 TB disks to the 3 TB disks already in the array from lubuntu, is there any risk to that?

Edited by odrel

9 hours ago, odrel said:

Can I create a partition table without compromising the data on the disk?

No.

9 hours ago, odrel said:

EDIT: An alternative solution could be to just copy the content of the 4 TB disks to the 3 TB disks already in the array from lubuntu, is there any risk to that?

This is a viable solution.  No problem if you do the copy correctly.

I was a bit scared of messing up permissions by copying locally so I ended up setting an NFS share on another computer. Thanks for the help!

There is a strange problem when I mount a remote samba share.  When I run rsync  ( rsync -avzP --delete /mnt/user/tv/ /mnt/disks/10.0.0.120_500GB-2.5/tv )  it copies every time the same files that already exist on that share. I have different rsync parameters but nothing works. I haven't encountered such a problem running rsync in general other than using unassigned devices plugin with a samba shared folder. I would appreciate if you have any ideas what I'm doing wrong. 

22 minutes ago, etsi said:

There is a strange problem when I mount a remote samba share.  When I run rsync  ( rsync -avzP --delete /mnt/user/tv/ /mnt/disks/10.0.0.120_500GB-2.5/tv )  it copies every time the same files that already exist on that share. I have different rsync parameters but nothing works. I haven't encountered such a problem running rsync in general other than using unassigned devices plugin with a samba shared folder. I would appreciate if you have any ideas what I'm doing wrong. 

Mounting a samba share shouldn't make any difference to the rsync command from local to local share mount.  There is probably a permissions issue on the remote samba share that confuses rsync with regards to dates.

Where is the remote samba share?  What type of server?  Could you rsync directly to that share?

34 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Mounting a samba share shouldn't make any difference to the rsync command from local to local share mount.  There is probably a permissions issue on the remote samba share that confuses rsync with regards to dates.

Where is the remote samba share?  What type of server?  Could you rsync directly to that share?

Using --modify-window=5 fixed my problem. There is always  1 second  difference timestamp between source and target files.  The remote samba share is a wdtv media player but also I have a problem with QNAP samba share.

Edited by etsi

21 minutes ago, etsi said:

Using --modify-window=5 fixed my problem. There is always  1 second  difference timestamp between source and target files.  The remote samba share is a wdtv media player but also I have a problem with QNAP samba share.

What is your problem with the QNAP share?

I'm using the plugin now to mount a NFS share hosted on another linux box in my house.  Just wondering if there is any way to change the local path that share gets mounted at to something other than /mnt/disks/<IP of server>_<name of share>. It would be nicer if I could just have it mounted at /mnt/disks/plexdl.  This feature exists for mounted local drives.

TIA for any help, and I apologize if I missed something really obvious here

2 hours ago, devros said:

I'm using the plugin now to mount a NFS share hosted on another linux box in my house.  Just wondering if there is any way to change the local path that share gets mounted at to something other than /mnt/disks/<IP of server>_<name of share>. It would be nicer if I could just have it mounted at /mnt/disks/plexdl.  This feature exists for mounted local drives.

TIA for any help, and I apologize if I missed something really obvious here

Click on the mount point name when the share is not mounted and change the name.  Press enter to accept.

22 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Click on the mount point name when the share is not mounted and change the name.  Press enter to accept.

That worked great, thanks.  For some reason, even with the share unmounted, the. name was still showing up as if it was a link.