Fma965

The Complete UnRAID reverse proxy, Duck DNS (dynamic dns) and letsencrypt guide

109 posts in this topic Last Reply

23 hours ago, RockDawg said:

Since I am getting the nginx 404 page, doesn't that mean that the request is getting through to the Letsencrypt container and therefore my port forwarding is working correctly?

yes

20 minutes ago, Fma965 said:

yes

So then my issue has to be with nginx configuration then, right? Then I don't understand what's wrong because I took your default fie and changed all you IP references mine and saved it.

@Fma965, Actually, restarted everything, except for letsencrypt docker app :D   It was a gross oversight!  After restarting, Deluge is working already.  Can't get Sonarr to work yet.  Will keep trying.  At least I know it's working already.

BTW, can OpenVPN Server and Letsencrypt (with NginX reverse proxy) docker container both be up at the same time?  Meaning, even with Reverse Proxy running, I can still VPN into the NAS and manage it?

Posted (edited)

Well I managed to fix my issues.  Unfortunately, I don't know what fixed it.  I just started from scratch, reinstalled the container and reconfigured.  I could swear I did everything the same but this time it worked.  I hate that because you don't learn anything that way.  Glad it's working though.  Thanks for the guide @Fma965!

Edited by RockDawg

I do have another question.  I decided get a domain (myserver.com) from namecheap.comrather than use the one I have at duckdns.  I have it set up to to work with my dynamic IP and it knows my current IP.  So I edit the Letsencrypt container simply changing the Domain Name field from mydomain.duckdns.org to myserver.com.  Now the log shows the following error:

Failed authorization procedure. www.myserver.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: Fetching http://www.myserver.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/frBvtzHSCyTZlFDxm6HDnxMdRiFCKLCCF8fzciyZfP4: Error getting validation data

and

Error getting validation data

If I simply change the domain back to my duckdns one it gives no error and it gets certs.  So it's not a port issue.  Any idea why I can't get certs for me new domain?

Now it appears that I've played around with things too much and my duckdns domain has been given too many certificates and now it won't validate!  What the heck do I do now?!

One step forward.  Two steps back.

On 7/17/2018 at 4:11 PM, RockDawg said:

Now it appears that I've played around with things too much and my duckdns domain has been given too many certificates and now it won't validate!  What the heck do I do now?!

One step forward.  Two steps back.

You have to wait now before it will let you cert again, most likely your DNS hadn't propogated across the net so letsnecrypt wasn't going to the correct domain/ip

• Upvote 1

Thanks.  Everything is mostly working now but one thing I notice is the if I type myserver.com/app or www.myserver.com/app inside my network, both are redircted to HTTPS and show the secure symbol.

Outside my network (cell phone on cellular network), myserver.com/app connects without being redirected to HTTPS and, obviously, doesn't show the secure symbol.  On the the other hand, www.myserver.com/app doesn't connect at all.

How do I fix that?

Additionally, there is usually a 30-40 second delay when accessing the apps.  After typing the address and hitting enter it just sits there for 30-40 seconds and the the page will usually load quickly like it should.  Sometimes it never loads the page and it will just say request timed out.  Once the page is loaded I can usually try that one again or some of the others and they will load just fine.  If I try again later, I will either get the delay or the timeout.

Any ideas what could be going on?