gfjardim

Preclear plugin

1963 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 4/1/2018 at 6:34 PM, dabl said:

I noticed before all these errors you excerpted the first sign of a problem in the syslog was well before this and appears to be related to the preclear plugin.

Perhaps these PHP warnings are non fatal and not directly responsible but it does look suspicious.

Mar 31 09:47:51 raid-01 rc.diskinfo[9321]: PHP Warning: Missing argument 2 for force_reload() in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 691
Mar 31 09:47:51 raid-01 rc.diskinfo[9321]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.
Mar 31 09:47:54 raid-01 rc.diskinfo[9321]: PHP Warning: Missing argument 2 for force_reload() in /etc/rc.d/rc.diskinfo on line 691
Mar 31 09:47:54 raid-01 rc.diskinfo[9321]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.

So gfjardim, can you please comment on these these PHP warnings?  

Is this something you can fix?

6 minutes ago, Necrotic said:

No I mean I get that spam without running pre-clear. Its just constantly adding to my log all the time.

Ok, good to clarify that. 

Perhaps try an unraid start/stop and/or reboot and if it persists then try a preclear plugin uninstall/re-install?

1 hour ago, dabl said:

You can install the Tips and Tweaks  plugin and on the 'Tweaks' tab, set the "Turn on PHP warnings?" to 'No'   and that will suppress the    PHP Warning:  entries.  

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

You can install the Tips and Tweaks  plugin and on the 'Tweaks' tab, set the "Turn on PHP warnings?" to 'No'   and that will suppress the    PHP Warning:  entries.  

Thanks for the reply and info, appreciated.

Tried to clear one of my new 6TB WD Red drives. This is a used drive I got off of eBay. I'm out of SATA ports, so I had to use my USB connection to do this. It got 83% through the pre-clear read and that stopped. When I found it this morning, the drive was already spun down and idle. Nothing logged.

Suggestions other than trying it again? Takes forever over USB (days) for a single pass. I'm going to try and start it again now and I'm headed out of town for a few days. If it fails again, I may fire up a spare PC and use DBAN to verify the disk.

Double check the smart report on this drive and see what it reports.  You said the drive was used.  What are the power-on hours?  Did the seller give any reason for selling?

By the way, if you are using USB for preclearing, you want to use a UBS3 port on the server and a UBS3 housing for the drive.  UBS2 will be very slow...

On 4/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, snowboardjoe said:

Tried to clear one of my new 6TB WD Red drives. This is a used drive I got off of eBay. I'm out of SATA ports, so I had to use my USB connection to do this. It got 83% through the pre-clear read and that stopped. When I found it this morning, the drive was already spun down and idle. Nothing logged.

Suggestions other than trying it again? Takes forever over USB (days) for a single pass. I'm going to try and start it again now and I'm headed out of town for a few days. If it fails again, I may fire up a spare PC and use DBAN to verify the disk.

It's also worth noting if you read (way) back through the thread I experienced exactly this kind of behavior with this kind of drive with the plugin using the default script but success with the modified Joe L script run from the command line.  I posted a preclear log and the plugin was updated but there was never a discussion/diagnosis/explanation of exactly what may have happened or what may have been fixed.  Or not fixed.  Having been here from time time the plugin existed my observation is the WD Red drives have a higher than average number of reported incidents with the plugin but it's possible I'm reading more into it than is there.  The developer with all the data/reports never participates in the discussion so who knows.

I've seen more than one incident with the WD Reds I've tried where for whatever reason the plugin halts somewhere most of the way through but the original script run from the command line completes without incident.  I'm definitely leaning towards returning to the use of screen and the original (modified for v6) script run from the command line and abandoning the plugin despite it being nice to use and convenient.  If it fails all the time and requires a re-run it's not very useful in the end.  

• Like 1

If i install preclear plugin as per instructions on post 1, using gfjardim, will it work on 6.5 unraid?  Or are there still problems?

3 minutes ago, FrozenGamer said:

If i install preclear plugin as per instructions on post 1, using gfjardim, will it work on 6.5 unraid?  Or are there still problems?

It should work. There have been and still are isolated issues being reported. If you experience any issues after installing, try uninstalling the plugin to see if that corrects them.

On 4/7/2018 at 12:08 PM, dabl said:

These are harmless, but I'll suppress them on the next version.

16 hours ago, wgstarks said:

It should work. There have been and still are isolated issues being reported. If you experience any issues after installing, try uninstalling the plugin to see if that corrects them.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, dabl said:

It's also worth noting if you read (way) back through the thread I experienced exactly this kind of behavior with this kind of drive with the plugin using the default script but success with the modified Joe L script run from the command line.  I posted a preclear log and the plugin was updated but there was never a discussion/diagnosis/explanation of exactly what may have happened or what may have been fixed.  Or not fixed.  Having been here from time time the plugin existed my observation is the WD Red drives have a higher than average number of reported incidents with the plugin but it's possible I'm reading more into it than is there.  The developer with all the data/reports never participates in the discussion so who knows.

I've seen more than one incident with the WD Reds I've tried where for whatever reason the plugin halts somewhere most of the way through but the original script run from the command line completes without incident.  I'm definitely leaning towards returning to the use of screen and the original (modified for v6) script run from the command line and abandoning the plugin despite it being nice to use and convenient.  If it fails all the time and requires a re-run it's not very useful in the end.  

I have a theory about this problem but could not fix it without a Preclear log (please see the original post of this thread).

7 hours ago, gfjardim said:

I have a theory about this problem but could not fix it without a Preclear log (please see the original post of this thread).

As I mentioned, in all cases I posted a preclear log.