NAStyBox

ReactOS

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

This loads with the Windows XP template, provide you change the drive(s) to IDE. However I'm still hunting for a NIC driver if anyone can provide some advice. The VM runs fine. I just can't get it on the network yet. Any ideas? Any success stories?

https://www.reactos.org/

Dunno if it will work, but you could try changing the virtualized network card presented to the guest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jonathanm said:

Dunno if it will work, but you could try changing the virtualized network card presented to the guest.

Ya did it again Jonathan! I did the following, and now it's bridging to the network just fine.

1. Shutdown VM

2. Changed NIC in VM settings to the Virt nic
3. Started ReactOS, went into Device Manager, and updated the driver letting it search for it. Red Hat driver found, and on the network.

4. Dropped VM

5. Changed NIC in VM settings back to br0

6. Started up VM and now it's pulling an address from the DHCP server on the lan

THANKS!!!

I want to use this to run an FTP server from time to time. No license necessary ;-) 

I can't get the ReactOS installer .iso to install.  It boots into Live mode fine, but errors out if I try to have it do an install.  Using WinXP template, and IDE as drive type.  

Any ideas?  thanks!

With a Windows VM it is sometimes necessary to use a single core for the VM install.  Also with a Win7 install you need to switch the VNC video driver to cirrus from QXL.  You might try those two things and see if it works to install ReactOS.

@NAStyBox

Have you had success with ReactOS?  It is still a work in progress as far as their website reports. 

Is it stable enough for you to use yet?  Or are you just playing...

Why did you choose this rather than a linux distro for a ftp server?

There are two ISOs available for download from reactos.org.... I couldn't get the installer to work from the Live CD, but the other installer on the boot CD worked.

In the VM settings, make sure you have the latest windows virtio .iso mounted, and when ReactOS boots, it will prompt you for device drivers for ethernet, PCI, etc.  I didn't have to do anything odd to get the NIC to work, except load the driver.

I've been wanting to try out this little OS for a while.  Minimum requirements are 500MB drive space, and only 96MB of RAM.

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 5.52.54 AM.png

I'm so glad I found this. I was JUST trying to get ReactOS installed. Just curious: which version of ReactOS did you do this with?

What type of functionality does this os bring? In other words, what are guys using it for?

Edited by hernandito