SSD

SuperMicro CSE-M35T 5in3 Hotswap Cages

34 posts in this topic Last Reply

Yeah, I too have a bunch of these and do not have any bad reports. The fans fail, but I have had them a long time, so that is to be expected. I have never had a speed problem. I stopped using them because of cost. If you are putting together lots of drives, the 24/48/60 drive units are cheaper than bolting these in, and the backplane is nicer than lots of cables. If you just need 5-10 drives, these are great.

Thanks for the insight guys. I will probably pick up one or two of these to start. I can fit 3, but i won't have that many drives to start, something i can grow into. Just need to figure out where i'm going to put the server itself so i can decide if i want to swap the fans for something quieter or not :P

On 3/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, void4ever said:

Thanks for the insight guys. I will probably pick up one or two of these to start. I can fit 3, but i won't have that many drives to start, something i can grow into. Just need to figure out where i'm going to put the server itself so i can decide if i want to swap the fans for something quieter or not :P

The fans are not that loud IMO. And the sound is more of air movement than squeaking, mechanical sound. You might try them out as swapping out is always possible afterwards. They are 92mm fans BTW.

Posted (edited)

I picked up on of these and decided to swap out the fan, as it was a little loud, with an Artic F9 fan (43 cfm) and notice the hard drive temps on the high side 35 - 40 degrees. I haven't tried with the stock fan. BTW, drives are HSGT 6TBs. Within normal paramters?

Edited by joelones

I run the stock fan and it's a lot cooler than that - high 20's, low 30's.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:31 PM, SSD said:

Yes - you just need to fold back the metal tabs separating the 5.25" slots with a long neck C-clamp. Very easy to do.

Thank you for offering this solution. I haven't come across a computer case that DID NOT have those metal tabs in the 5.25" bays. 

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Just want to provide some feedback on Diversity-it (https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-CSE-M35T-1B-5-x-3-5-Hot-Swap-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-/172642519582?hash=item28324bca1e:g:c7oAAOSwXj5XGSS3)

I couldn't be happier with the service. I bought two drive cages and they arrived very well packaged. Upon fitting them, I found that the LED on one of the trays was not lighting up with disk activity. I contacted them and asked for a new drive tray. I offered to pay for postage but they shipped me two without question and without me having to pay anything further.

I'm not associated with them in any way, but their service went well above and beyond what I expected in terms of packaging, responsiveness and shipping of replacement trays and I'd like to give credit where it's due.

So if you're looking for drive cages, I can recommend them.

Edited by PeteB

Weird question.  I have picked up a used dell 2950.  Was thinking of using it till I can build new server.  Issue I have is this 2950 only has 2.5” sas slots.    Can I use this cage sitting to side of case and somehow run the backplane cable to the motherboard of the dell?    I have 5 3.5” drives so this would be perfect.   Please advise.  

On 5/17/2018 at 4:17 AM, bphillips330 said:

Weird question.  I have picked up a used dell 2950.  Was thinking of using it till I can build new server.  Issue I have is this 2950 only has 2.5” sas slots.    Can I use this cage sitting to side of case and somehow run the backplane cable to the motherboard of the dell?    I have 5 3.5” drives so this would be perfect.   Please advise.  

The Supermicro cage needs a 4U height so if the 2950 is a 2U then I'm pretty sure it won't fit. 

I've put these cages in a Rosewill RSV-4500 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091IZ1ZG) as well as an Antec 1200... across all my systems I have 12 of these.  Only problem I have with the Rosewill is the drives are horizontal and upside down if you want to get 3 of these cages in there because of the way it deals with installation.  For the Antec, the drives are vertical.

Also, I recently picked up 3 of these on Newegg (from Newegg itself, not a third party) on sale for $82 each (before tax+shipping), so outside of eBay that's what I'd consider a "going rate" unless I was in a hurry to get one.