emg

HW transcoding

38 posts in this topic Last Reply

17 hours ago, HellDiverUK said:

I would assume so, yes. 

I have an AMD RX480/580 gpu (passthru-ed) and 4790K iGPU. If I want to use hardware transcode in plex docker, does it mean I have to enable iGPU and leave it to unRAID itself and not pass it thru to any VM, right?

11 minutes ago, rowid_alex said:

I have an AMD RX480/580 gpu (passthru-ed) and 4790K iGPU. If I want to use hardware transcode in plex docker, does it mean I have to enable iGPU and leave it to unRAID itself and not pass it thru to any VM, right?

Yes, the iGPU needs to be specified as the primary graphics adapter in your BIOS and not passed through to a VM.  Unless it is the primary graphics adapter (don't choose AUTO if that is an option in the BIOS), the drivers don't get loaded to allow the Plex docker to access QuickSync Video for transcoding.

10 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, the iGPU needs to be specified as the primary graphics adapter in your BIOS and not passed through to a VM.  Unless it is the primary graphics adapter (don't choose AUTO if that is an option in the BIOS), the drivers don't get loaded to allow the Plex docker to access QuickSync Video for transcoding.

Thanks! I also found out if I choose AUTO in the BIOS, then iGPU is not loaded at all by unRAID, it seems just ignore it. I have to choose CPU GPU option to let it recognized by unRAID.

On 3/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, HellDiverUK said:

I would assume so, yes. 

This is what plex says

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Can I use Hardware-Accelerated Streaming inside of Docker?

At this time, we do not formally support hardware acceleration inside of a Docker container. Some users of Docker (on Linux only) have been able to accomplish this by adding platform-specific custom configurations that expose host hardware to the container.

Anyway it only supports quickSync

Hi, sorry to chime in - I've got the Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard with an Intel E3-1231v3 Processor.  Appreciate this does not support Quick Sync Video, but I'm wondering if I can swap it out for one that does.  The Supermicro site is a little vague on supported CPUs, but I *think* I can drop in any Xeon E3 v3 or v4 - some of which support Quick Sync Video.  Supposing I can find one still for sale, am I correct in this?  Failing that, it'll be new mobo/cpu/ram later this year.

I'm currently using this list https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors&FamilyText=Intel® Xeon® Processors&SocketsSupported=FCLGA1150&QuickSyncVideo=true as a guide, and I'm guessing if I can get a 3.40 Ghz with 8 Mb SmartCache it should perform about the same.

1 hour ago, Cessquill said:

Hi, sorry to chime in - I've got the Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard with an Intel E3-1231v3 Processor.  Appreciate this does not support Quick Sync Video, but I'm wondering if I can swap it out for one that does.  The Supermicro site is a little vague on supported CPUs, but I *think* I can drop in any Xeon E3 v3 or v4 - some of which support Quick Sync Video.  Supposing I can find one still for sale, am I correct in this?  Failing that, it'll be new mobo/cpu/ram later this year.

I'm currently using this list https://ark.intel.com/Search/FeatureFilter?productType=processors&FamilyText=Intel® Xeon® Processors&SocketsSupported=FCLGA1150&QuickSyncVideo=true as a guide, and I'm guessing if I can get a 3.40 Ghz with 8 Mb SmartCache it should perform about the same.

The SuperMicro board does not use the igpu at all if present (don't know if it's supported at all), so you need a new motherboard that makes use of the igpu. 

1 hour ago, Cessquill said:

I *think* I can drop in any Xeon E3 v3 or v4 - some of which support Quick Sync Video.  Supposing I can find one still for sale, am I correct in this?  Failing that, it'll be new mobo/cpu/ram later this year.

Even if you put in a E3-12X5vX, you still won't get Quicksync - that board doesn't touch the iGPU at all.  You'll need a board that will use the iGPU, probably some sort of Workstation board that has iGPU support would be your best bet, like a C226/C236 if you want to continue to have ECC memory support.

Personally I don't bother with server/workstation boards any more, and just go for a known stable board with the features I need, which usually means some sort of Asus Gaming board.  Just about to change my Asus H170M-Plus/i5-6500T system to an Asus ROG Maximus X Hero/i7-8700.

4 minutes ago, saarg said:

The SuperMicro board does not use the igpu at all if present (don't know if it's supported at all), so you need a new motherboard that makes use of the igpu. 

Fair enough - thanks.  Was hoping to squeeze a bit more out of this setup.  I use its onboard SAS ports to plug straight into the SAS Expander on a Supermicro SC846 case, so I'd need to get a SAS card too.

2 minutes ago, HellDiverUK said:

Personally I don't bother with server/workstation boards any more, and just go for a known stable board with the features I need, which usually means some sort of Asus Gaming board.  Just about to change my Asus H170M-Plus/i5-6500T system to an Asus ROG Maximus X Hero/i7-8700.

Thanks for the advice - very helpful.  And I agree with you - we've shifted to needing more power in unRaid systems.  I'd just need to add a SAS port to connect my hard drives to.

The one thing I'd miss on this board was the IPMI network admin.  That's got me out of a few sticky situations before, and has been handy when running a headless system.

9 minutes ago, saarg said:

The SuperMicro board does not use the igpu at all if present

Many boards that have IPMI (such as your Supermicro) do not support the iGPU.  Since they have onboard video via the BMC (ASpeeed AST 2400), they completely ignore any other "onboard" video source such as an iGPU.  There may be some Supermicro boards that allow you to use iGPU even with IPMI/BMC, but, it is not common. iGPU has to be the primary graphics adapter in BIOS in order to load QuickSync drivers.

1 minute ago, Cessquill said:

The one thing I'd miss on this board was the IPMI network admin.  That's got me out of a few sticky situations before, and has been handy when running a headless system.

Some Asus workstation boards can take the iKVM module, or have it already installed from factory.  Not cheap, though.

6 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

The one thing I'd miss on this board was the IPMI network admin

User Vanes references a Supermicro board in this post that has IPMI and also appears to allow the iGPU to be selected as primary graphics card:

Posted (edited)

Just a note, haven't been able to get Coffeelake working with this - seems Intel don't support this chip in the current SDK.

Edited by HellDiverUK