fc0712

Let's complain about the LT release process

4 minutes ago, JustinAiken said:

So if I don't use VMs and have Intel... I'd be more stable switching at this point? (Tons of Docker usage..)

My opinion is yes.  (Although I use AMD (not Ryzen / Threadripper) )

Huge improvements in the GUI (as far as stability is concerned, its no longer single threaded, so if it gets tied up with something or crashes on you, with 6.3 you'd have no UI.  6.4 just open a new tab)

And, any little bug / issue that may have been affecting 6.3.5 the only fixes are for going forward.  IE: 6.4+  back porting them pretty much just isn't going to happen.

The new features, (SSL access and encyption) I haven't touched though.  No real need for them.  But its all up to you.

• Like 1

It is a good thing that numbers (RC-1,2,3,4)  are used rather than letters(RC-A,B,C,D) otherwise they might run out as there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and we are on RC16 now.  :D

Otherwise they would have had to start using Greek letters, like when there are more than 26 tropical storms in a year.  That would have been really confusing RC-α

2 hours ago, wayner said:

It is a good thing that numbers (RC-1,2,3,4)  are used rather than letters(RC-A,B,C,D) otherwise they might run out as there are only 26 letters in the alphabet and we are on RC16 now.  :D

Otherwise they would have had to start using Greek letters, like when there are more than 26 tropical storms in a year.  That would have been really confusing RC-α

The letters in US ASCII are basically base-26 numbers, so after Z you would get AA, AB, AC, ...

On 12/12/2017 at 9:52 AM, Squid said:

All software is beta.

Taken as a whole, the 6.4's prior to RC9 was "beta".  Everything after is legitimate "RC's" as being termed here.

Beyond that, and the intermittent VM issues on RC15 and the continuing Ryzen issues (out of LT's control), 6.4 RCx is more "stable" than 6.3.5

Wow, 6.3.5 works just fine, maybe some AMD VM issues but most of those got fixed.

Looking forward to 6.4 Final Estimated Release, trying to be funny.

Let's all hope that we'll see a code freeze in the new year and continue with the frozen release candidates! xD

On 12/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, Squid said:

My opinion is yes.  (Although I use AMD (not Ryzen / Threadripper) )

Huge improvements in the GUI (as far as stability is concerned, its no longer single threaded, so if it gets tied up with something or crashes on you, with 6.3 you'd have no UI.  6.4 just open a new tab)

And, any little bug / issue that may have been affecting 6.3.5 the only fixes are for going forward.  IE: 6.4+  back porting them pretty much just isn't going to happen.

The new features, (SSL access and encyption) I haven't touched though.  No real need for them.  But its all up to you.

Thanks for this Squid. I was avoiding running anything other then stable but all the points you made, make sense. I ran one of the betas back in the day (can't remember which) as it was stable and had some major improvements. At that time I waited for it to have been mature enough and it looks like this time around 6.4 is mature enough also. I'm also not going to use some of the new feature yet. Partly due to not needing them and partly due to them being, well, new. The web gui running on ngix was the major improvement I was looking forward to.

Anyone want to have a pool on the over/under on release numbers before it is done?  The only issue is that some folks might have inside information!

On 12/19/2017 at 1:41 AM, wayner said:

That's why the release numbers should be xx.  01,02 etc.  makes sorting easier.

Maybe we should have a comp to define what LT RC means.  Real Close, Recent Changes, Reconfiguring Core

Recent Changes makes the most sense considering it cant be Really Close when its been months and over 50+ revisions.

• Like 1

Should we ask Baba Ji his opinion ?  He seems to know all.
LOL!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The cries of many bewildered worldly men and women have not fallen unheard on the ears of the Great Ones.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:49 PM, unevent said:

I got $10 Monopoly cash that says 20...

I hope  you weren't counting on spending that Monopoly cash on something important as you're out now as we are on 21.

I suspect that some of the recent delay to allow the incorporation of the  Meltdown-Spectre patches to make in the Linux kernel (which apparently in being done piecemeal).  I would rather see the incorporation of these done in rc releases rather than to a staple version.  (Look at the mess MS has made with the Win7 January update patches on systems with AMD processors!)  

I would bet a whole lot of monopoly money that the first  Meltdown-Spectre attacks are going to directed against servers in the banking, financial, government and database servers of all types than against the typical home PC.  (Conspiracy theory--  The NAS, CIA and various foreign governments are already doing it...)

I think at some point we need to stop adding features and focus on getting what we have stable. Not sure we needed terminal in browser for 6.4 and it was added pretty late and generating a lot of bug reports.

Edited by zin105

5 minutes ago, zin105 said:

I think at some point we need to stop adding features

Which feature did you add and needs to be removed?

Before you start shouting, the above is just a joke on your use of the word "we" :)

The good news for you is that feature freeze is in place and we are near the end of the tunnel, provided nothing 'unexpected' pops up.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 8:49 AM, wayner said:

I hope  you weren't counting on spending that Monopoly cash on something important as you're out now as we are on 21.

Had my eye on Park Place  Dang Intel...