fc0712

Let's complain about the LT release process

138 posts in this topic Last Reply

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

Sorry, I clearly got some posts mixed up, you're quite right.

I'm still not sure it would catch the sharp corners, imho, the biggest problem people run into is the fact Unraid is an immensely complex os, with a deceptively easy webui.  This has had the effect of lowering the bar to accessibility, people are running Unraid who would probably never dream of running a comparable headless Ubuntu server for arguments sake, not a bad thing in and of itself, but does bring some issues. 

Roll back to v4.7 days, when there was just basic NAS functionality and far less options, you'd have less issues.  Add KVM, Docker and a huge increase in the number of plugins and as one might predict the number of support requests have gone through the roof.

And it's for this reason I think the "elite" users should be given first chance to run everything and find a number of issues and give back feedback.

It's hard to help people who hardly even know what a console is. Everyone can't be protected from themselves, but every additional layer of protection will help. And one such step is to keep the beginners a mile away from the new functionality.

It will not slow down the total progression. It will just make sure skilled people are first to test.

On 3/13/2018 at 3:47 PM, 1812 said:

wait, are we still still talking about this???

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Why should LT do a weekly post telling us what they're up to?

Because Factorio do?

Microsoft doesn't.

Let's be realistic here, LT is a small team, they get a lot done with the team they have, and for those of you that haven't been around as long as some of us, the release tempo has increased dramatically.

Do I necessarily agree with everything LT do? No.

Do I feel the need for this discussion to keep going on? No

I do not buy into the argument that LT informing the community would cut support requests that's just not the case, of all the posts I've answered I can't recall ever thinking "If only Tom/Eric/Jon had written a weekly blog post, we'd have avoided this issue."

LT is a business not a community cooperative nor opensource collaboration.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Why not?

You say now, TIME! But like i said, it cost 1 person maybe a half our a week and help to understand what devs are doin.

More communication cant be bad.

Edited by nuhll

5 hours ago, 1812 said:

Maybe you should try to figure out how to either be creative or funny. Right now, you just post noise again and again. If you can't be bothered to read the posts then maybe you shouldn't involve yourself in the thread.

5 hours ago, pwm said:

Maybe you should try to figure out how to either be creative or funny. Right now, you just post noise again and again. If you can't be bothered to read the posts then maybe you shouldn't involve yourself in the thread.

Maybe you should read the numerous posts where @limetech has made their reasoning clear AND read the history about this cyclical discussion and how it goes nowhere and stop wasting your time? 

Also, you calling my interjections "noise" is my opinion that LT should do what they want. Maybe you can't comprehend that because got your feelers hurt because they don't want to do what you want them to do. Maybe you just really want that "elite" user label. I don't know. I don't care. 

This isn't Microsoft. Leave them alone and let them work on this software and do things their way. If you want a substantial voice, buy into the company. Because these cyclical arguments do nothing but waste time when users like yourself ignore the history and the words of those closest involved.

1 minute ago, 1812 said:

Maybe you should read the numerous posts where @limetech has made their reasoning clear AND read the history about this cyclical discussion and how it goes nowhere and stop wasting your time? 

Isn't it me, myself, who should decide what I want to "waste my time" on?

Having done something for 5-10 years doesn't mean there isn't room for improvements.

And if the same discussion returns again and again, then the smart thing to do is to take one step back and consider that there may be a reason why people constantly bring up that same discussion. Do you think women would have been allowed to vote if society had seen it as a meaningless cyclical discussion?

2 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Also, you calling my interjections "noise" is my opinion that LT should do what they want.

No. What I call noise are your posts with zero content besides the same repeated quote to "wait, are we still still talking about this???" in ridiculously large characters. That's not even close to debating and just intended to be destructive.

3 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Maybe you just really want that "elite" user label. I don't know. I don't care. 

You say you don't care but act like you care.

Don't you find it problematic that users who have zero knowledge how to roll back to previous version and don't know how to open a command line prompt are running beta software? Do you think that is good for the unRAID community?

If you have a view, then post exactly why you think the current system is good. What advantages are there? Why isn't it a problem that beginners who can't even spell Linux has so easy access to pre-release software even if even the smallest hickup means they have no idea how to get their system back to working conditions again?

5 minutes ago, pwm said:

You say you don't care but act like you care.

Says the person who dissected my post that took me all of 24 seconds for me to compose. You've asked so many questions of me that it is only polite to respond, otherwise it looks like I'm just a troll... and in the process will now be shown to "care" by taking time to respond.... so tiring.... [sips tea]

8 minutes ago, pwm said:

And if the same discussion returns again and again, then the smart thing to do is to take one step back and consider that there may be a reason why people constantly bring up that same discussion. Do you think women would have been allowed to vote if society had seen it as a meaningless cyclical discussion?

Everyone discusses endlessly the right way for toilet paper rolls to be placed, either over top pull or under. Does it mean there is value in the discussion just because it comes back? Let me step back and take a look.... nope. No value in the discussion. You try to take one extremely important historical event and make it central to the reasons of your argument about how a small software company labels and provides access to release candidates. I used toilet paper and wiped it away. (also the answer is always over the top pull. that way you can see it what you're grabbing.)

6 minutes ago, pwm said:

Why isn't it a problem that beginners who can't even spell Linux has so easy access to pre-release software even if even the smallest hickup means they have no idea how to get their system back to working conditions again?

Anyone with the cash can go buy a supercar (lambo, Ferrari, etc.) It doesn't mean they won't wreck it the moment they drive off the lot. Not my problem. Not my concern. Not the manufacture's either. This isn't Mac OS. This isn't windows 10. It's not built for everyday consumers. Just like supercars are not built for everyday drivers. FreeNas, unRaid, etc are for those looking to learn and do more, whether they realize it or not. UnRaid does a decent job in letting users know they can lose data if they don't know what they are doing. They also generally provide warning against using RC's.  Could it be a bigger safety warning sticker? That is debatable. But even with that, I would wager that you have more users on the regular "stable" version that suffer data loss through lack of knowledge than those losing data on the "pre-release." So it's an invented problem to justify the perpetual discussion instead of conceding a stalemate.

12 minutes ago, pwm said:

What I call noise are your posts with zero content besides the same repeated quote to "wait, are we still still talking about this???" in ridiculously large characters. That's not even close to debating and just intended to be destructive.

Sometimes a discussion that won't end (that should) needs to be ended in a destructive manner because some people can't let it go. 

28 minutes ago, pwm said:

sn't it me, myself, who should decide what I want to "waste my time" on?

You sure can. But try to make sure your points are valid with reasonable situational comparisons. Otherwise you end up losing to toilet paper analogies and it makes your argument even weaker.

Maybe everyone should give this thread a rest for a few days.

• Like 3

@limetech They could try that weekly/monthy format for some time, what would be the worst thing that could happen? Some informed customers? :D

If its not working/worth it, stop it, easy...

10 hours ago, trurl said:

Maybe everyone should give this thread a rest for a few days.

Maybe everyone should write up their own LiveJournal entries...

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Anyone else picture this as what a LimeTech Blog would look?

Happy Easter to you too buddy.

And of course, that was all April Fools related. :D