pwm

Forum vote for blocking

It all depends if we're trying to solve the worlds forum spam problem or not.  We need a quick fix for now, restricting new users might or not work.  In my experience it's pretty easy to spot a spam bot's first post.  It just doesn't make any sense, so you can spot them and keep the restrictions in place.

Longer term it's not really viable and IPS's spam filtering needs to identify this scripts signature and/or close the exploit.  The days of forum admins manually controlling spam are no gone, thankfully.

A few more updates to this issue:

#1: We have applied limits to forum search and posting.  Users must now wait 30 seconds between created new posts and 10 seconds between searches.  Unfortunately we have noticed a lot of bots indexing the forum using search and eating up a lot of system resources.  These limits should curtail some of that.

#2: We have implemented a secondary spam protection service.  Now we have TWO systems in place to try and thwart would-be spammers.

Lastly, I just want to say thanks to our moderators this week for helping stomp out these spammers for us.  Automated anti-spam protection is very important, but there is no anti-spam system that can systematically prevent all forum spam.  Some folks are very creative in working around the anti-spam systems and when that happens, we rely on our mods to help combat the issue in real-time.  We think they've done an amazing job and for that, we thank you all.

• Like 2

I should add that we are also investigating setting post limits on new members, but we haven't done that just yet.  We really want to be careful about maintaining a balance between good anti-spam measures while not being too restrictive on those who legitimately want to post in here.

• Like 1

Honestly as long as everybody continues to report when they can it really helps out so we can take action. Obviously we can't all be online all the time or schedule who can cover what at, but with member help it really does go along way in combating this issue. 

On 9.1.2018 at 5:53 PM, jonp said:

I should add that we are also investigating setting post limits on new members, but we haven't done that just yet.  We really want to be careful about maintaining a balance between good anti-spam measures while not being too restrictive on those who legitimately want to post in here.

@jonp

It's time you either implement those new members posting limits, or maybe have some moderators in the European region to clean up when you guys are sleeping.

I'm almost at the point where I just log out when I see the first page of unread posts are spam. 

On 13/01/2018 at 10:44 AM, saarg said:

@jonp

It's time you either implement those new members posting limits, or maybe have some moderators in the European region to clean up when you guys are sleeping.

I'm almost at the point where I just log out when I see the first page of unread posts are spam. 

+1

This is getting really old...

Is there any way to have 2 tiers of initial users?

I'm thinking of a non-published sign up that exists inside the unraid GUI, so people running unraid can sign up and post immediately, but people who access the web site normally get a trial single post per day account until moderator approved.

I've whacked at least a dozen in last day. Still seem to be posting messages several a minute. Is there something additional happening to shut this down?

It certainly got less since the time-based post limit is in place, but there are still many different users coming through.

Maybe a character limit for the first post can help blocking those posts.

Those posts were often very lenghty - just an idea...

What about a mandatory "introduction" post in a dedicated (sub)forum before full posting rights are given?

Dunno how technically feasible that is, but I really want to see the last of Baba-ji...... :)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk