rickyjumb

Question about storage devices

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi, i was wondering what types of devices are included under "storage devices" that is used when describing the limitations of each tier (basic, plus, pro). For example, would a cd/dvd/blue ray reader/writer be included in this? And what about usb devices?

From the main page under 'pricing'

What are “attached storage devices”?

They refer to the total number of storage devices physically attached to the server before you start the array.  This number is in addition to your USB flash device used to boot unRAID (e.g. 4 HDDs + 2 SSDs + unRAID boot device = 6 attached devices).  Non-storage devices such as GPUs do not count against this limit.

2 hours ago, ashman70 said:

From the main page under 'pricing'

What are “attached storage devices”?

They refer to the total number of storage devices physically attached to the server before you start the array.  This number is in addition to your USB flash device used to boot unRAID (e.g. 4 HDDs + 2 SSDs + unRAID boot device = 6 attached devices).  Non-storage devices such as GPUs do not count against this limit.

Yeah i've read that. What i was wondering about is wether a cd drive and/or usb flash drive were counting towards that X device limit. Usb most likely are but is it the same for cd drives? I need to know for sure.

Edit: my question might sound a little bit stupid but from my prospective, a dvd drive or a usb flash drive shouldn't count towards that limit. 

Edited by rickyjumb

So with the unassigned devices plugin, you can attach a certain number of USB drives which do not count as array devices. Optical drives do not count either.

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

So with the unassigned devices plugin, you can attach a certain number of USB drives which do not count as array devices. Optical drives do not count either.

Ok, thank you for the clarification.

4 hours ago, ashman70 said:

So with the unassigned devices plugin, you can attach a certain number of USB drives which do not count as array devices

Could you clarify what exactly you mean by this, and where you found the info?

AFAIK, the device limit counts all mass storage devices attached at array start, whether they are assigned to the array or not. You can always plug in USB devices after the array is started, however.

What I mean is that once the array is established, you can plug in a certain number of external USB drives that don't count against the license, I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it.

4 hours ago, ashman70 said:

What I mean is that once the array is established, you can plug in a certain number of external USB drives that don't count against the license, I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it.

It's dangerous to rely on the rule that unRAID only checks the count on array start, unless there is a reference that LT has publicly claimed that this is a permanent part of the license agreement. Else LT may change to check the device count continuously, in which case it will no longer be possible to connect USB units at a later time unless the license still has free drive "slots" unused.

8 hours ago, ashman70 said:

What I mean is that once the array is established

Still not sure we're on the same page. You can't start the array with more devices than the license allows, whether it's been started previously with the same drives or not.

You can unplug extra devices, start the array, then plug them back in.

4 hours ago, pwm said:

It's dangerous to rely on the rule that unRAID only checks the count on array start, unless there is a reference that LT has publicly claimed that this is a permanent part of the license agreement.

Agreed, but with a caveat. The drive limits and licensing have changed and evolved over the years, but LT has never retroactively changed how things worked for previous versions, only enforced changes in new versions. So, Tom has specifically said that for the current as of 6.4 series, the license check will only apply at array start. So, as long as you stay on 6.3/4, you are ok to use the replug method to add extra devices.

Who knows what the next version will bring, but in my tenure here, they've been very fair and listened to what the community wants and needs, and adjusted policy to match.

That said, the price difference between a basic and pro is less than the cost of 1 hard drive, so it's more than reasonable to upgrade licenses if you really need more devices.

Jonathanm, what I am talking about is this:

How many devices does unRAID Server OS Support?

unRAID OS supports up to 30 devices in the parity-protected array (28 data and 2 parity) and up to 24 devices in the cache pool. Additional devices can still be utilized directly with other unRAID features such as virtual machines or the unassigned devices plugin.

So yes, you are limited by your license in terms of how many assigned devices you can use to create your array, outside of that you can utilize other features of unRAID via the unassigned devices plugin.

https://lime-technology.com/pricing/

It's pretty clear. The piece you quoted only applies to Pro, which has unlimited attached devices. Basic and Plus, which was what the OP asked about, are limited to 6 and 12 mass storage devices attached at array start, whether they are assigned to the array or not.

I don't think optical drives count, just mass storage devices with size > 0 at array start.

So, in the end i wrote to Limetech to get a clear and definitive answer. Dvd/cd/blue ray drives do not count towards the attached device limit. Usb flash drives do. Thank you to everyone for the answers. 

Edit: i want to point out a thing in case future users read this post: what i said counts until version 6.4

Edited by rickyjumb
Clarification and grammar

10 minutes ago, rickyjumb said:

Edit: i want to point out a thing in case future users read this post: what i said counts until version 6.3.5 for sure and very likely also for version 6.4

Since version 6.4 is already released as current stable, the answer you received should count for 6.4 too.

46 minutes ago, pwm said:

Since version 6.4 is already released as current stable, the answer you received should count for 6.4 too.

Yeah you're right. Updated the post