Jcloud

My pet hydra.local

90 posts in this topic Last Reply

Do you know which controller is for which port?

The ASMedia is presumably the 3.1 gen 2 type A + C at the back.

I'm guessing from the controller naming that the problematic one is the internal 3.1 gen 2, which you shouldn't be able to plug your devices to.

Confused.com

Yeah the Asmedia one is just a Gen 3.1 A and C port at the back (Jcloud posts a pic of the controller layout).. the 3.1 seems to be the headers etc on the board.

There is ONE unknown header which you need a special Asus cable (about $25) to use.. No idea which controller that belongs to!

Additional: I also finally managed to pass the Asmedia 2142 controller. I experienced the freakish connect/disconnect cycle when I plugged my single cable in for my KVM and was about to give up. I tried a USB C to 4 port USB 3.0 hub and that did similar (but the cable wasnt making a great connection) and then plugged a cheap Amazon USB2 Hub into the USB A port and the single cable into that. And it worked fine and connected without disconnect.

So in summary, the USB 3.0 controllers and Asmedia 2142 are safe to pass but I am convinced that the AMD 3.1 controller is flawed.

At least we have 3 working passable controllers (even if the AMD 3.1 controller has the most ports connected to it). Just need to add hubs to the Asmedia one. 

Means I can run 3 VMs with GPUs and USB controllers at same time 🙂 Nerdgasm!

On 3/17/2018 at 9:02 PM, Jcloud said:

I was asked on another thread for a breakout of the usb ports, regarding their bus and controllers for pass-through. Here is probably best place for me to spam long details. Also asked if the PCIe-1x slot had it's own IOMMU group, tried to find out using an e-sata card ... with a Marvel chip set. DOH!  Seg faulted emhttp so hard. Thought I had recorded the results, while I was in the fault, but I can't find output (which I thought I saved to the flash drive). I'll have to try the experiment again later.

USB breakout Prime-X399-A.jpg

We also don't know which controllers the USB 3.0 header above the U.2 port is and the custom Asus header above that ... that needs a special cable

1 hour ago, methanoid said:

We also don't know which controllers the USB 3.0 header

Those are USB3.1 headers (two different generation types) from what I can gather in the manual.

1 hour ago, Jcloud said:

Those are USB3.1 headers (two different generation types) from what I can gather in the manual.

Yeah but AMD 3.1 or Asmedia? I dont know!

Quick q: did you pass through your NVMe SSD via PCIe i.e. like it's a GPU?

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

Quick q: did you pass through your NVMe SSD via PCIe i.e. like it's a GPU?

Who? Me? I did.. not sure about @Jcloud    I did the dual boot thing also as per SpaceInvaderOne's video (dual boot Windows10/UnRAID). Worked perfectly.

2 hours ago, methanoid said:

Who? Me? I did.. not sure about @Jcloud    I did the dual boot thing also as per SpaceInvaderOne's video (dual boot Windows10/UnRAID). Worked perfectly.

Oops sorry. Meant to ask Jcloud. I briefly considered dual booting but then decide to go full on unRaid only.

@Jcloud  Did you pass through your NVMe SSD via PCIe i.e. like it's a GPU?

2 hours ago, testdasi said:

@Jcloud  Did you pass through your NVMe SSD via PCIe i.e. like it's a GPU?

Nope, I don't own any NVMe devices. All of my SSD are 2.5" sata form factor. As for would I? At this stage, I'm a fairly solid, "probably not" on that idea because the performance of running a VM inside an image file is very sufficient speed. Also the drive as a file has a number of plus's in my book. 

On 3/17/2018 at 9:02 PM, Jcloud said:

I was asked on another thread for a breakout of the usb ports, regarding their bus and controllers for pass-through. Here is probably best place for me to spam long details. Also asked if the PCIe-1x slot had it's own IOMMU group, tried to find out using an e-sata card ... with a Marvel chip set. DOH!  Seg faulted emhttp so hard. Thought I had recorded the results, while I was in the fault, but I can't find output (which I thought I saved to the flash drive). I'll have to try the experiment again later.

USB breakout Prime-X399-A.jpg

Trying to identify which controllers the two missing ones are connected to (see the RHS middle of the pic, two light blue in the middle, one needs a special cable to connect to).

Asked Asus "tech support" who really didnt know and gave me stories about how the info was secret Asus info only (LOL) and then claimed that the Asmedia controller had a block of 4 ports (two we agree with but they reckoned, wrongly, that the two above the USB C port were also Asmedia ones!). If that is the knowledge level at Asus support I am really worried about their "engineering" skills!!!! 😄

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2018 at 2:25 AM, methanoid said:

If that is the knowledge level at Asus support I am really worried about their "engineering" skills!!!! 😄

What techsupport not having all the engineering specs and fill in with a B.S. answer, I've never seen that before out of a tech company.  LOL 

Granted convoluted and wrong answer is not a great response to get, I'll give you that. ;)

In other news, just checked the motherboard BIOS page; looks like one I could skip, but I'll probably end up doing it some time this week.

From ASUS Page

Version 0807   2018/08/10  5.62 MBytes

PRIME X399-A BIOS 0807
Update AGESA 1.1.0.1 Patch A to support AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen™ Threadripper™ processors

Hmm "Patch A" maybe one should wait to see if there will be a "B?" 

EDIT:

Just finished applying the update; like last time BIOS customized settings were reset.  The fact they were reset caused me some grief, as I missed one of two fields for virtualization, which caused my VM's to fail in spectacular IOMMU and QEMU errors - the best part, no secondary box (at work). What fun it is to troubleshoot on my mobile. :D Back up now; wasn't bad really, worse part was I couldn't bring up the forums to look at this post (in order to review my settings). 

If you plan on updating your BIOS, I highly recommend documenting your settings prior to flashing. 

Oh yeah (in mocking Martha Stewart voice), "Enabling IOMMU enumeration in IVRS, it's a good thing!"

Edited by Jcloud

Hey @Jcloud: sorry for the piecemeal questions - still planning things at the moment. Did you need to extract the bios rom thingie to pass through your 2 GPUs?

10 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Hey @Jcloud: sorry for the piecemeal questions - still planning things at the moment. Did you need to extract the bios rom thingie to pass through your 2 GPUs?

I have passed 3 GPUs to 3 VMs... with the Roms.. Not doing so makes it less reliable and you definitely need to do it if you are passing the primary GPU

@testdasi my 1070sc needs the ROM file as it is my primary GPU; the 1050 is secondary so it doesn't require the ROM dump. However, as @methanoid stated it does seem to run a bit better, or I perceive it to be at least, with the ROM file extracted and part of the VM configuration.