BRiT

How do I disable ANIMATED Avatar display on these forums?

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

@limetech , @jonp , @eschultz

 

How does one disable the display of user Avatars on forum posts?

 

Why would I ever want to do that you ask? It's because I'm noticing extremely annoying ANIMATED avatars used by new users that I find extremely distracting to the point of them ruining the forum experience.

Edited by BRiT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

fortunately I'm not a new user?

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, 1812 said:

fortunately I'm not a new user?

Trust me, this wasn't aimed at you. (besides, your avatar fired the first shot xD)

 

The issue was a single user with a psychedelic seizure inducing gif that is very annoying. One way I can think to eliminate the issue fairly is to change the view selectively like signatures are currently handled. The  nuclear option of disallowing animation in avatars is another, but penalizes those who use the option tastefully.

 

Not everybody is bothered or cares, but to some it's really annoying, to the point of destructive urges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Trust me, this wasn't aimed at you. (besides, your avatar fired the first shot xD)

 

The issue was a single user with a psychedelic seizure inducing gif that is very annoying. One way I can think to eliminate the issue fairly is to change the view selectively like signatures are currently handled. The  nuclear option of disallowing animation in avatars is another, but penalizes those who use the option tastefully.

 

Not everybody is bothered or cares, but to some it's really annoying, to the point of destructive urges.

 

Uhm... yeah... sorry about that.

 

I had asked @SSD why .gif's are even allowed... The upload dialog mentions jpg, and png... not gif.. even tho I clicked one and it worked :\

 

Sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, tbonedude420 said:

 

Uhm... yeah... sorry about that.

 

I had asked @SSD why .gif's are even allowed... The upload dialog mentions jpg, and png... not gif.. even tho I clicked one and it worked :\

 

Sorry. 

 

Thanks dude! I am following up with the management.

Share this post


Link to post

I’ll look into this and see what options we have. 

Share this post


Link to post

These are all the options we have. I’m inclined to just disable animated profile pictures. They aren’t necessary and I agree with BRiT that they can be downright painful to look at. Thoughts?

C520A571-588B-4E20-AD93-244801F6DBDF.png

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, jonp said:

These are all the options we have. I’m inclined to just disable animated profile pictures. They aren’t necessary and I agree with BRiT that they can be downright painful to look at. Thoughts?

 

That seems a reasonable approach to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, jonp said:

I’m inclined to just disable animated profile pictures.

 

+1

 

Don't need to be reminded of MySpace, so many gifs.

Share this post


Link to post

Done. Let me know if that didn’t work for any reason. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, jonp said:

Done. Let me know if that didn’t work for any reason. 

 

noooo.jpg.41624894ee1c49ec56607d770ad3881b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
 
noooo.jpg.41624894ee1c49ec56607d770ad3881b.jpg
Your cannon has gone droopy! ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, jonp said:

Done. Let me know if that didn’t work for any reason. 

 

Just tried uploading an animation - it was blocked.  So it looks like it works.  Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Your cannon has gone droopy! ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
 

 

It's just resting....

Share this post


Link to post

Still shooting for me

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Squid said:

Still shooting for me

 

Me too.

Share this post


Link to post

YOU SAW NOTHING. MOVE ALONG.

Share this post


Link to post

Tis a sad, sad day.....

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Copyright © 2005-2018 Lime Technology, Inc.
unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.