Gico

Search Within a Forum/Topic/Thread

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

I remember that there was an option to search within a specific forum/topic/thread,

but now all I can see is the global search at the right top of the screen, and it doesn't have this functionality.

Am I missing something?

Any other option to search within a forum/topic/thread?

Thanks.

Forum search has been very hit and miss lately. Right now it doesn’t seem to be working at all (clicking the search icon does nothing). Maybe @limetech has disabled forum search?

This is global a search through the entire community.

I don't see any option to select a Forum, so obviously not a subforum or a thread.
That's not an effective search.

I have a question regarding a specific docker container.

I won't read the entire support thread to search for a specific issue,

and without a good search I might ask a question that already been answered.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gico said:

This is global a search through the entire community.

I don't see any option to select a Forum, so obviously not a subforum or a thread.
That's not an effective search.

I have a question regarding a specific docker container.

I won't read the entire support thread to search for a specific issue,

and without a good search I might ask a question that already been answered.

Yes, it's global, as I mentioned in my post.

The other option is to use Google to search on this site. Google search is good enough that it doesn't matter very much if Google has to search on all forum content.

Yeah it would be really good to have an option to individually search threads. Quite cumbersome to go through 10+ pages of random discussion if you want to search for a few keywords....

Can't believe this was taken away. I've never been on a forum that didn't let you search a specific topic. Any idea when this will be fixed?

buzz

+1 - Really need a way to search within a thread. Otherwise, I can't be arsed to read 100 pages of thread, and I'll just start a new thread or re-ask a question that has been asked before.

Members can't really reply with "search the thread" when someone asks the same question 1000's of times as there is no search within thread.

Please allow searching in threads. 

3 hours ago, jj_uk said:

Really need a way to search within a thread. Otherwise, I can't be arsed to read 100 pages of thread, and I'll just start a new thread or re-ask a question that has been asked before.

google search works fine for the unraid forum.

add site:lime-technology.com to the search terms you want to find.

I know tone is hard to read online, but your post makes me want to help you less, knowing that you value your time more than all the other forum members. It sounds like you are so important that you deserve personal attention instead of trying to find the info yourself.

Sorry if that's not what you meant, but I spend a fair amount of time on here trying to help people, and I prefer to help people who put in the time to read what others have written and still need help or clarification rather than just posting a new thread about what has been discussed many many times over in the specific support thread. It's usually not necessary to reread 100's of pages, typically only the newest 5 or 10 pages have good info.

I was trying to emphasise what (generally) happens in forums, exasperated when there is no search facility; I used 1st person so as not to be speaking of others; From experience with other tech-based forums, I see people ask the same questions over and over in the same threads, and in new threads, to the point where i'm just like, 'read the thread' or 'search the thread', 'read the FAQ', 'read the sticky' etc which then offends people as it looks like I don't want to help, because i'm just repeating myself over and over each time I visit. Adding a google custom search to the forum is fairly trivial and would be a really great help when looking for something specific. Most forum searches omit terms with <= 3 chars, e.g. CPU, GPU, RAM, VM, IMU, etc. which is where the forever repeated questions arise.

3 hours ago, jj_uk said:

For a quick way to search the forum in chrome, this plugin (no affiliate) seems pretty useful.

thanks for your link! and according to topic search - i think it's possible with this extension too, just turn on advanced option where you can select site sub-directory..

At least I know I'm not crazy. Ever since the move to the new forums I've found it definitely harder to navigate. But not being able to search for a keyword in topics with hundreds of pages really makes finding information next to impossible. I hate asking questions that have already been answered and much rather find the answer for myself but not having search is terrible.

Further more I found a interesting way to search a thread if the forum didn't allow it was to click the printer friendly button and then the topic becomes one page which you can use ctrl + f on. Problem is this new forum also removed the printer friendly button.