prostuff1

Minio + duplicati (Crashplan Home replacement)

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

I just posted a request on the linuxserver.io forums (you can find it here https://forum.linuxserver.io/thread-585.html) about getting a Minio docker created.

I found a blog article discussing the use on Minio and duplicati to mimic Crashplan Home.

I will likely be combining duplicati with an Amazon S3 service to get the cloud backup portion taken care of; but that does not cover the Crashplan server I had running locally and was also backing up to.  I believe I can get Minio and Duplicati to work together so that it will function the same or very close to how my local crashplan server did.

I found a blog article talking about using these 2 apps together here (http://blog.quindorian.org/2017/08/diy-cloud-backup-replacing-crashplan-home-family-diy-style.html/)

Thoughts and comments welcome.

• Like 1

Nice! Keep us posted on how it works for you!

You can just use the official docker container from minio and import it into unRaid.  You'll have to manually set a few things here and there to get the container going but it isn't that hard if you read the Minio docker quick start guide to see what parms it wants.  Let me know if you need a hand.  

I personally use syncthing and duplicati together to accomplish something similar. But I'm always open to trying other ways.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I am using for my family members to backup to me.

1 hour ago, adoucette said:

Did you end up getting Minio docker to work on unRAID? What is the process /configuration you used?

I have not had a chance to play with getting the docker up and running on my unRAID machine.  I plan to play with it sometime this week and will be sure to do a writeup after I get it going.

I had a chance to play with this yesterday and installed the Minio docker fairly easily.

So far I'm happy with how it works but have not yet pushed it out to my friends / family to allow them to back up to it.

Also, is there anything else I would need to do to "harden" this - since it now opens a port on my unRAID box to the internet - to prevent port scans and hacking?
One thing I'm concerned about is whether the credentials to get into Mino are passed in clear text over the internet. If so, how would I set this up to be encrypted (e.g. LetsEncrypt)?

Edited by adoucette

Did you end up getting Minio docker to work on unRAID? What is the process /configuration you used?

I can post some screenshots of the options I added to the container screen after importing it from docker hub.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, digiblur said:

I can post some screenshots of the options I added to the container screen after importing it from docker hub.

Thank you -- screenshots of working unRAID Minio docker configuration  were included in post referenced above.

At this point I'm thinking of how (whether?) to harden it against attacks.

4 hours ago, adoucette said:

Thank you -- screenshots of working unRAID Minio docker configuration  were included in post referenced above.

At this point I'm thinking of how (whether?) to harden it against attacks.

Gotcha, I must have missed them.  Glad people got it going.  

I haven't done mine outward facing yet so it's only viewable on my internal network for now, but I do plan on doing it via this link:  https://docs.minio.io/docs/setup-nginx-proxy-with-minio

But it should be pretty secure with those two decently long keys and possibly pointing fail2ban at the logs.  Not to mention the project is on github for everyone to dig through and fix any security issues.