Sign in to follow this  
shire

Device Disabled // RED BALL - rfs to xfs

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

a few weeks ago I changed the file system from rfs to xfs. That worked great...almost. In the process I moved data from a rfs drive to an already reformated xfs drive. The xfs drive turned red (drive7) while writing to it. However reading form that drive and writing to another one worked without any problem before in that process. To solve the problem I deleted all data on drive7 and replaced that with a new one (the data was still on that rfs drive I was copying from). I rebuilt the array with a parity check and all looked good. I restarted copying the data to that new drive and so on. I also checked if I can access the data on that drive without problems (manly video files) which worked.

This night the mover tried to move files to the array and the same drive bay with the new drive red balled again. I don't know what is going on.

I added the diagnostic. Maybe somebody could take a look.

Bye.

tower-diagnostics-20180415-0810.zip

Disk dropped offline so there's no SMART, but possibly a bad cable/connection issue..

I changed the SATA cable. The drive is still read (of course).

I activated SMART on that drive and started the self test which discovered no errors. Just now I started a telnet session. I'm copying a big file form another disk to disk7 via command line. Let's see if there are any errors...

Furthermore I don't know what to do. I would probably try to rebuild that disc and see what's happening.

Hm... is copying possible? Looks like the drive is emulated and you can't copy to it via the command line.

After a disk is disable it needs to be rebuilt, to the old or a new disk, but replace the cables first to rule them out.

2 hours ago, shire said:

Hm... is copying possible? Looks like the drive is emulated and you can't copy to it via the command line.

Emulated disks can be read or written so without further information it's not clear what your problem is with copying from command line.

But, it's really much better to rebuild the disk before trying to do anything else with the array, since everything has to work a lot harder to emulate the disk (all disks are involved in the emulation), and the array is unprotected unless you have more parity disks than disabled disks.