thostr

UNRAID does not detect half my drives

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a modded QNAP TS-870 Pro witch I have installed UNRAID 6.5.1 on. (upgraded to i7-3770T and 16GB RAM)

The first 48 hours all was OK, and all 8 drives was working in array with a single parity. But after a reboot yesterday, ony half of my drives were detected.
So I booted up in QNAP OS and I could verify all 8 drives was detected without errors. BIOS also saw all the disks.
I formatted all drives and started from scratch in UNRAID. And I found out only disk 1,3,5,7 was detected, but 2,4,6,8 did not show up in interface.
I have read there have been some issues with Marvell's 88SE9235 PCIe 2.0 x2 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller in the past, But I have not seen any update that indicate it should be solved, but I found a script to workarround it but im not even sure I did it correctly.

I have added diag logs in hope that someone could help me figure this out. I prefer UNRAID over QNAPs OS, so really hope I can find a way with all drives active.
P.S. I have only plugged in HDD 1,2,3 in at the moment with 1 as parity, 2 not discoved and 3 in the array. My setup should be 7x6TB disks (1 parity, 6 data) and 1x512GB SSD for cache.

image.png.4ff7da7d5bbb4142207ce7685dcfb829.png

qnap-diagnostics-20180514-1300.zip

16 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It's a known issue with Marvell controllers and VT-d enable:

https://lime-technology.com/forums/topic/39003-marvell-disk-controller-chipsets-and-virtualization/

Thank you for reply.

Your are right. I enabled VT-d just before I got the issue.

I have looked through your link, and I dont understand how Marvell is to blame when QNAPs own OS have no issues with the drives.

But I have tried the "fix" but it doesn't work for my setup. So I'll guess I have disable VT-d again.

Thank you for clearing that out :)

20 hours ago, thostr said:

I have a modded QNAP TS-870 Pro witch I have installed UNRAID 6.5.1 on. (upgraded to i7-3770T and 16GB RAM)

Smart thing to do :)

I have a couple of WD MyCloud PR4100 (each is capable of housing 4 HDDs), are you aware if it is possible to mod those as well?

Thnx

1 hour ago, Mat1926 said:

Smart thing to do :)

I have a couple of WD MyCloud PR4100 (each is capable of housing 4 HDDs), are you aware if it is possible to mod those as well?

Thnx

I cant say if it is possible to upgrade your WD, I gues that depends on the hardware.

But I found some guides from people that already tried it on my QNAP, so I knew for sure the CPU and RAM was compatible.