jdubbs23

M.2 SATA SSD PCIe adapter (no cable)

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I have a notebook M.2 SATA ssd (not PCIe SSD) with B+M key and I’d like to use it in my legacy unRAID system that doesn’t have any support for M.2 connectors. 

 

Ive found several M.2 PCIe adapter boards for this, but for M.2 SATA SSDs they all seem to require that the adapter board also plugs in a sata cable to a sata port on the MB. Why do I need to attach the sata cable and use up a sata port on my MB? I am looking to use the M.2 Sata ssd without having to take up another sata port from my MB. Is this not possible? Or have I just not found the right PCIe adapter board?

E9C18736-48FA-4B49-B2E0-9654B567147A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jdubbs23 said:

Why do I need to attach the sata cable and use up a sata port on my MB?

Because the SSD is SATA, only PCIe devices can use the PCIe bus directly, I seam to recall seeing dual M.2 SATA adapters with a SATA controller included, like an Asmedia 1601, those don't need the SATA port.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Because the SSD is SATA, only PCIe devices can use the PCIe bus directly, I seam to recall seeing dual M.2 SATA adapters with a SATA controller included, like an Asmedia 1601, those don't need the SATA port.

 

Any ideas where to find this adapter? I haven't been successful. It seems crazy to me that I have a PCIe adapter board that adds SATA ports, so the SATA communications clearly can run through PCIe to the MB. That I would need to have a PCIe adapter board to host a M.2 SATA SSD, and then connect a regular SATA cable from that board over to another PCIe adapter board with SATA ports on it, makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, jdubbs23 said:

That I would need to have a PCIe adapter board to host a M.2 SATA SSD, and then connect a regular SATA cable from that board over to another PCIe adapter board with SATA ports on it, makes no sense.

An M.2 SATA drive doesn't speak PCIe, it needs a translator. Whether that is a chip on the card or cabled out to another SATA interface on the motherboard is the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, jdubbs23 said:

It seems crazy to me that I have a PCIe adapter board that adds SATA ports, so the SATA communications clearly can run through PCIe to the MB.

 

Not crazy at all.

 

What you have bought is a mounting kit that has the mechanical/electrical connectors for two M.2 device and will take the power from the PCIe slot without need for a power cable from the PSU.

 

M.2 devices have a specific form factor (but with multiple length options).

But they exist with two different communications interfaces.

One alternative is PCI express - which is what the motherboard slot talks.

The other alternative is SATA. For M.2 devices that uses SATA, you can't connect them to a motherboard slot - you need to connect them to a HBA. Either you need a SATA controller on the card, or you need a cable to a SATA controller on the motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, jonathanm said:

An M.2 SATA drive doesn't speak PCIe, it needs a translator. Whether that is a chip on the card or cabled out to another SATA interface on the motherboard is the issue.

 

I get that, but there are plenty of cards that translate SATA to PCIe to add more SATA ports, I'm just looking for a board that accepts the M.2 SATA SSD and can translate it over PCie so I can have one adapter board for the M.2 SATA SSD. I can't find any boards for this dual purpose.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Copyright © 2005-2018 Lime Technology, Inc.
unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.