Imba

Failing drive and ungodly long parity-sync

71 posts in this topic Last Reply

The main page won't refresh and I can't seem to get access to it at all. Should I just force the server to shut down?

Most likely disk5 dropped offline, since there's no temp showing, and since parity isn't valid yet it can't be emulated, you might need to force a shutdown.

Well I'm getting replacement drives later today. I guess I'll remove disk5 (it didn't have anything on it anways) and rebuild the array with the good disks for now. Would it be wise to update after the new array is up so I can deal with the failed drives?

Posted (edited)

I removed the failing drives and have all the good drives connect, but I'm not getting an option to make a new array. All it says is "Invalid Configuration" "Too many wrong and/or missing drives.

Is it possible that removing the two failing drives was one too many? I know v4.7 is a tad nutty.

Edited by Imba

So how do I do that? There aren't many option on the main page and I don't have a utils tab.

I was wrong, utils -> new config is for v5 only, on v4.7 there-s no GUI option, stop the array, go to the console and type:

initconfig

The array will be initialized but all disks will remain assigned, then unaasign the failing disks and optionally assign any new ones.

Ah, alright will do.

It won't let me start it since those disks are missing. 

should the drives be spun down?

Do I reboot after I do the initconfig in console?

no, but you might need to refresh the GUI, all disks icons should be blue (new).

Success the parity is doing it's thing, and everything seems good. When I add the replacement drives how do I go about preclearing them or do I not have to?

It's been so long.

You don't need to preclear them, unRAID will cleared them on array start, but on v4 array will be unavailable during the clear.

I think I'll upgrade before I add them in, does that seem like a better idea?

1 hour ago, Imba said:

does that seem like a better idea?

Yes, once the sync is done and the array protected upgrade to v6

Posted (edited)

Status Update!

1. The array is protected and back online

2. I've upgrade to v6 it's so pretty O_O

3. I've had an issue with windows not being able to access the serve in explore from the network tab, I get a 'path could no be found' error. However I can access the server if I type out it's ip address \\10.1.10.207. This kind of a problem because I can't get some programs to access the server either since it tries to use the servers name (e.g \\Hive)

4. I guess I need to use UD to see if I can pull files from the failed drives, but I'm not sure what exactly to do since I'm new to this v6 world ^^

Edited by Imba

2 hours ago, Imba said:

However I can access the server if I type out it's ip address \\10.1.10.207.

Add the server to the hosts file on the Windows machine. Then Windows itself will translate \\hive\ into \\10.1.10.207\

4 hours ago, pwm said:

Add the server to the hosts file on the Windows machine. Then Windows itself will translate \\hive\ into \\10.1.10.207\

I tried that but it still gives the same error.