Mike G

(SOLVED) First time using Unraid, won't boot.

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Posted (edited)

Hi all, first time user here.  Currently using win10 and plex to stream to rokus around the house.  I have to expand my storage and build in some redundancy so I figured I'd give Unraid a shot.  So far I've created the boot USB drive using the "getting started" instructions.  Its a 32gb sandisk cruzer fit.  Unraid boots fine in my main gaming rig, but will not boot up in the media box; the screen is just blank. Media Box is running ASUS H87Iplus - Bios v 2003 11/05/2014, with i5-4670 onboard gpu.

Things I've tried:

A different 2gb usb drive (again boots fine in gaming machine)

Fast boot: on/off

Multiple USB ports 3.0/2.0

UEFI: on/off

Mass Storage - Forced FDD/Auto

There's other settings in the bios related to USB (USB legacy support, Intel xHCI, EHCI hand-off) but I'm not sure what they do...

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by Mike G

Been trying a different bios settings, usb drives fat32 and fat for 3 hours now, nothing works.  Should I accept the fact that unraid doesn't work with the H87iplus?

Have you tried manually selecting the boot order when the system boots up and then selecting the flash drive?

I have this mobo but unfortunately running headless. I believe I did have to do something with legacy support originally, but I don't know if that is what I have currently since UEFI booting became available for unRAID. If you don't get it going I will try to take mine down sometime this weekend and attach a monitor to see what I have.

4 hours ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

Mike.  Have you looked at the video, Configuring Your Bios?  Here's the link, top row and third from the left.

https://lime-technology.com/videos/

Yea i set what i could.   I'll post the full settings later to see if you guys see something i missed.

Have a look at your secure boot settings. It should be set to "other os"

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, PeteB said:

Have a look at your secure boot settings. It should be set to "other os"

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Set to "other os" = still no bot screen :(

Here's the screen shots of my bios pages.  I've noticed when I set the boot priority to "UEFI Sandisk" the computer goes right to the bios screen, if I set to "Sandisk" it posts, then blank screen.

20180610_115857[1].jpg

20180610_115946[1].jpg

20180610_120005[1].jpg

20180610_120015[1].jpg

20180610_120107[1].jpg

I would be trying moving the SanDisk to the top of the Boot Override list.  

Posted (edited)

Also Google      ASUS H87Iplus boot issues unraid  and     ASUS H87Iplus boot issues

Double check that you are running the latest BIOS.  There seems to be some issues with this MB.  

Edited by Frank1940

Solution!!  Set "Legacy USB" to disable, in CSM change all to UEFI first.  Boots like a champ.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Mike G said:

Solution!!  Set "Legacy USB" to disable, in CSM change all to UEFI first.  Boots like a champ.  Thanks!

Great job, Mike!  Glad you found success.

Posted (edited)

Typical!!!  Solution achieved by trying permutations of all possible settings...  😉

Edited by Frank1940