superloopy1

Root user question ..

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've been running 3xmicroservers for a couple of years now and still login via root user. I'm assuming this isnt really acceptable but just want to know what best practice is regarding setting up additional access users. Only myself administers the servers so do i need to change?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I always log in as root. I’ve got a strong password set and only log in from my local network. Might not be the most secure, but my understanding is that unRAID isn’t really built for security anyway.

+1 to the security deficiency.  If you have shared your Flash Drive via SMB, deleting three files on the flash drive will allow anyone to access your server without requiring any password after the next restart!  

+1 to the security deficiency.  If you have shared your Flash Drive via SMB, deleting three files on the flash drive will allow anyone to access your server without requiring any password after the next restart!  

Yes i do. So you're saying unshare my flash drive then is worth doing.

12 minutes ago, superloopy1 said:

Yes i do. So you're saying unshare my flash drive then is worth doing.

You have to decide on the right trade-off between convenience and security.    If you want intermediate solutions without sacrificing too much convenience you can set the flash share to either be hidden on the network, or set the SMB security to be ‘either Secure’ or ‘Private’ rather than ‘Public’.