turco

Trial Period Question: Remote Connection

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

hi, i have a QNAP where i can connect to my nas from anywhere i want, outside of my network by writing my IP with port 8080. What options i have with unRAID?

 

How can i access my files for example? any android apps ?

 

Also any android app where i can monitor the system status? RAM CPU usage uptime, errors and so on?

 

tia 

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, turco said:

What options i have with unRAID?

Set up a VPN server with either a docker on unraid or if your router supports it, set up a VPN server there.

 

Once you are connected with the VPN, you access it exactly as you would on your local network.

 

The only smartphone app I am aware of is @jbrodriguez's ControlR . It's not a limetech product, so any support issues are handled through the author. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just want to point out that ControlR is about control and monitoring of the server itself. I don’t believe it provides any access to the shares themselves and definately will provide no access at all if not connected to the same local network as the unRAID server.

 

The OpenVPN-AS docker maitained by LinuxServer.io is a good choice if your router software doesn’t provide VPN server capability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/12/2018 at 4:23 PM, wgstarks said:

Just want to point out that ControlR is about control and monitoring of the server itself. I don’t believe it provides any access to the shares themselves and definately will provide no access at all if not connected to the same local network as the unRAID server.

 

The OpenVPN-AS docker maitained by LinuxServer.io is a good choice if your router software doesn’t provide VPN server capability.

 

My ISP router doesn't, i installed OpenVPN with the video help of spaceinvader on youtube, however, i cant connect. 

 

This is one of the biggest drawbacks for the people who would like to have the remote connection to their NAS. It shouldn't be this hard. That's why a lot of people who are new to this field are choosing ready systems from QNAP, WD, Synology and so on.

Share this post


Link to post

You may want to try ZeroTier (see associated docker container for more details and instructions). It allows to build a VPN without the need to open (forward) ports on your router.

 

I haven't tried this, but there is a ZeroTier client for Android and IOS, which together with ControlR should give mobile access to your unRAID server from anywhere.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, turco said:

 

My ISP router doesn't, i installed OpenVPN with the video help of spaceinvader on youtube, however, i cant connect. 

 

This is one of the biggest drawbacks for the people who would like to have the remote connection to their NAS. It shouldn't be this hard. That's why a lot of people who are new to this field are choosing ready systems from QNAP, WD, Synology and so on.

The OpenVPN docker from Linux.io certainly works if you have carried out all the steps correctly.   I use that without problems to connect to systems on my home LAN (including unRAID.).   I have successfully connected from a PC, a Linux system and an iOS system (iPad) without a problem.  Not tried android but I cannot imagine that is any harder.  

 

What type of client system are you trying to connect from?  I think the commonest mistakes are:

  • forgetting to set up port forwarding on the router.
  • forgetting to install the correct V’pN profile on the remote client.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2018 at 3:05 PM, bonienl said:

You may want to try ZeroTier (see associated docker container for more details and instructions). It allows to build a VPN without the need to open (forward) ports on your router.

 

I haven't tried this, but there is a ZeroTier client for Android and IOS, which together with ControlR should give mobile access to your unRAID server from anywhere.

 

 

wow wow wow you are the man, you are the cure for my problem :D

 

installed, configured less than 5 mins. 

 

Installed the app on my android mobile, opened es explorer, saw my home wifi, connected, and voila, i see the tower, my qnap and its fast. 

 

this was what i was looking and have it with me, thanks alot again

 

EDIT: i just think i got over excited however i think i made a mistake. I connected to my own wifi and saw my shared folders in ES Explorer. 

 

Anyhow, after accessing my own network via ZeroTier, how can i access my files? Only from SSH? I cant configure ES Explorer in a way that i access my shared folders easily?

Edited by turco

Share this post


Link to post

after connecting to the vpn how can i access to shared folders on my network? couldnt find the way yet. Especially from any android application

 

tia

Share this post


Link to post

You would access them via smb with a network file browser.

 

What type of files are you trying to access?

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't looked at the program you are using, but if it allows access to files using sshfs, then there are a number of Android programs that supports sshfs. So you can't make any Android program access the files but can retrieve specific files to the phone and then switch to some other application that makes use of the downloaded files.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, wgstarks said:

You would access them via smb with a network file browser.

 

What type of files are you trying to access?

 

normal files, jpg mkv , i would like to copy delete move .

 

access via smb with network file browser, can you please clarify abit more?

 

i would like to do this via my phone basically with an application.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, turco said:

access via smb with network file browser, can you please clarify abit more?

You would connect to your local network using VPN and then use a network file browser app to connect to your share. I can’t recommend any particular android app. Never used an android device. I know iPhone has quite a few so I imagine whatever App Store android uses also has some. You’ll have to do your own research there and see what’s available for the file types you want to access.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, wgstarks said:

You would connect to your local network using VPN and then use a network file browser app to connect to your share. I can’t recommend any particular android app. Never used an android device. I know iPhone has quite a few so I imagine whatever App Store android uses also has some. You’ll have to do your own research there and see what’s available for the file types you want to access.

 

finally, I could do it with ZeroTier, but what a pain in the ... process

 

i use ES Explorer for Android with the given ip address from Zerotier network.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Copyright © 2005-2018 Lime Technology, Inc.
unRAID® is a registered trademark of Lime Technology, Inc.