btrcp2000

machine check errors last night and weird alert email

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

I got a cryptic message in my email inbox today along with another email indicating machine check errors that I have seen before. Have not touched or rebooted the server in almost 3 months. Thoughts?

unraid-diagnostics-20180614-1046.zip

Everything inside the quotes is what I actually saw in the email, nothing other than this

Email subject

"cron for user root /usr/bin/run-parts /etc/cron.daily 1> /dev/null"

Email body

"sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

Hi,

I suspect you first need to ssh into your server and take a look at what you find under /etc/cron.daily/

It's possible, however unlikely that this file became corrupted or perhaps a custom addition isn't working as expected? You can just manually test if it works too. I'm not at my machine right now but I believe on a stock config you'll only find one cron item in /etc/cron.daily and you could just run it directly (sh /etc/cron.daily/<name of file> ) At least this way you'll know if that file has invalid syntax. Rebooting should refresh that file if it's corrupt.

Sadly by default the logging for cron is turned off in UnRaid so you won't get a log at /var/log/cron to assess - you could certainly enable it but it shouldn't be needed to fix something like this.

Del