johnny121b

The author of Slackware: hanging on by a thread?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I thought some of you might be interested to know- the author of Slackware is in a bad financial situation.  It's my understanding Slackware is the basis for UnRAID, one of the oldest maintained Linux distros, and apparently is almost a 1-man-operation.  I've supported UnRAID by buying extra licenses in the past, and I think the author of its underpinnings should probably also be worthy of our gratitude as well.  I have no connection with him in any way, and if this is inappropriate somehow, I won't be offended if my post is removed, but I think this is worth putting in front of everyone here.

Forum discussion that introduced the issue to me.

TLDR- see pages 1, 11, 31 (as of this writing)

Another mention on distrowatch

Very sad, what bothers me is that he states he had an agreement for profits from "The Store" of 60/40 if after 1 year he has not seen any real money why did he not demand accounting?

and at 2 years I would be filing a lawsuit.

Good post. It's easy to believe that the maintainers of the bigger Linux distributions have companies and sponsorship deals to make sure they can live a decent live while spending their time on their pet projects.

A real shame really, Just sent a few bucks to his paypal ... Maybe @limetech could have a talk with the guy ? Maybe sponsor him ?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Altheran said:

A real shame really, Just sent a few bucks to his paypal ... Maybe @limetech could have a talk with the guy ? Maybe sponsor him ?

I dunno how big the UnRAID market really is, but I doubt L/T is rolling in cash.  I figure the user base here can probably make a bigger difference than L/T.  I do know Slackware/UnRAID has been a significant part of my hobby life over these last several years.  The notion [that he's received nothing directly for the benefits I've enjoyed] didn't seem right...so I wanted to do something beyond just money from one guy.  Together, we could make a difference.

Edited by johnny121b
  • Like 1