Sign in to follow this  
Frostyfruit

Do I still need my ESXi Setup in addition to unraid!? Curious what people are doing

1 post in this topic Last Reply

Hi all,

I set up UNRAID about 9 months ago. It was a painful process for me to get my head around the architecture and setup process. But now boy am I glad I made the move!

I have my UNRAID server running at home with the basics, storage of all NAS data + a couple of dockers (I must admit Dockers have blown me away)

I still have my old ESXi Server on HP Microserver G7 I think which is mainly running my Domain Controller and thats about it.

Originally I had my ESXI server VM's on my QNAP NAS via NFS but decided to just go with local SSD.

So my question is as follows! is anyone else still running ESXi + UNRAID? Why are you doing this?

I'm thinking about a couple of options moving forward

1. Should I build another UNRAID Server and put my VM's on it like my domain controller (Benefit of local copy of data)

2. Should I Build a ESX-i / Hyper-V Server and put my VM's on it and use it as a secondary storage location 

3. Is there something else I should consider? 

with family and kids these days my approach is to simplify the architecture in my home and overhead with managing multiple platforms.

love to hear peoples journey on this :)