Red error messages in my syslog

Errors have something to do with the preclear process, see other thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11243.0

I stopped the preclear and tried to restart it with the -Z parameter, unfortunately it now shows me:

BLKRRPART: Input/output error

Sorry: Device /dev/sdg is not responding to an fdisk -l /dev/sdg command.

You might try power-cycling it to see if it will start responding.

Last lines in syslog show:

Mar 10 18:12:02 Tower kernel: ata6: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

Mar 10 18:12:02 Tower kernel: ata6: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

For some reason I cannot get this thing to preclear.. What should I do ?  I have precleared drives before and it has always worked.

As suggested in the other mentioned thread I started preclear with the -z flag to reset the MBR.

I did just that and nothing else sofar.

syslog now shows:

Mar 10 18:28:13 Tower login[7366]: ROOT LOGIN on `pts/0' from `192.168.0.19'

Mar 10 18:28:49 Tower ata_id[7610]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:96'

Mar 10 18:28:49 Tower kernel: sdg: sdg1

Mar 10 18:28:57 Tower ata_id[7676]: HDIO_GET_IDENTITY failed for '/dev/block/8:96'

No idea if that is the consequence of the preclear -Z and this is something i -should- see or an indication of an error of some sort... I'll wait a few minutes to see if the errors persist..

You mean without preclearing ?  Will that not make the whole array unavailable bevause preclearing will start ?

If you think it might help ill do it but i do not understand why you specify "start with the drive unassigned and then assign and rebuild". The drive has never been assigned sofar.  I will post entire syslog shortly.

If you preclear the drive it will also rebuild it. So you can do that as well.

But preclearing does not work, that is the whole idea of this thread... The moment I try it the error messages appear and in the end it freezes and the device becomes unresponsive...

Really hope someone can help,  am stuck with a drive that I cannot use... Thing is that it is a drive that was used in a different system (WHS) before with no issues whatsoever, I know I can have bad luck and the thing just died on me but  somehow I am not completely ready to believe that..

Sorry, I started to reply and then did something else, by time I got back to it I forgot your original post. Assigning the drive would start to clear it.

If you can take the drive out and put it in another system do that and run a full format or a disk check. If you put it in a windows box you can run a error correcting disk check to scan and fix sectors.

You should also be able to run tools made by the the drive manufacturer, sometimes they work better. For example one of my seagate drives couldn't be formatted and windows couldn't repair it, but the seagate tools could. It does take quite a while though.

I'd try doing that first and then put it back in your unRAID box and try to preclear it again.

Well..... I listened to your advice after all :-)

I have stopped the array and added the drive thru the unraid array, now unraid is clearing the disk itself, ofcourse this means my array will be offline for quite some time...

BUT !

There are totally no errors in the log and preclearing is at 9% where with preclear I would have run into issues after a few percent... So it actually looks like this is going to work..

Unfortunately it also would seem that preclear_disk.sh is doing something else then unraid and that worries me with respect to the preclear tool..

Pre-clear is a rigorous test of the drive. If it won't pass pre clear it shouldn't be in the system (or any system). I would run unassign the drive and pre-clear on it, if unRAID can clear it successfully. Take your time. There should be no hurry if your value your data. Taking time now will save you from headaches later.

The issue was not that the drive failed the preclear checks, preclear caused the system to send enormous amounts of error messages and when left long enough it crashed my system... Not because an actual issue with the drive... Unraid just finished clearing and the array is back up, format is running and there have been no error messages..

So... I'm happy with the result, but it is weird that preclear reacted like this, I have found some other users of the forum experiencing the same thing.

Archived