Power supply and other recommendations for X9SCM-F that fails to boot.

WeeboTech

I've been trying all day to get my Supermicro X9SCM to boot up.

X9SCM-F

E3-1230 V1

4 sticks of Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Server Hynix M Model KVR13E9/8HM.

Corsair HX 750.

From the moment I started, the board seemed to be flaky and have issues.

I rebooted it umpteen times and for a few cycles I saw a bios, then nothing.

Then I thought it was working after a few reboots. Assembled into the case and the board stopped booting.

I saw the IPMI heartbeat flashing.

The board looks like it's trying to post, fans spin on CPU.

The monitor stays in power save mode and never comes out of power save mode.

I tried resetting the CMOS to no avail.

I tried individual memory sticks (all 4 at different times). still nothing.

I took all memory out and received a bios boot code for what I thought of as no memory.

So now I'm at wits end.

I saw another thread where there was an issue with a corsair PSU, however I know mine is EPS12V.

I also saw reference in another thread where someone else was using a HX 750.

So any thoughts as to where to look or what PSU I should consider.

I was going to consider the Seasonic X650 but I don't want to spend money uselessly.

I don't have any spare parts since Hurricane sandy washed away my lab.

This friday I'll be at the end of my 30 day newegg RMA return policy.

Some advice would help.

RMA the board? PSU?

Other thoughts?

I'm using the Seasonic X650 with my X9SCM-iiF/E3-1230v2 (originally had a Sandy Bridge installed) , with 2 sticks of Kingston 4GB 1600 (KVR16E11/4HC) - absolutely no problems.

I've heard that the Supermicro boards can be fussy about psu, but would have thought that the Corsair should be okay.

I'm not sure how to determine the health of the mobo without swapping it.

Do you not have any other psus you can swap in temporarily?

If you do buy a new psu, I have nothing but praise for the Seasonic.

I have been running one of my servers with the HX650 without any issues. I am running an E3-1220V2 with the board and again had no problems. It sounds like you may have just received a bad board. I have seen a few people in other forums run into similar problems. Unless you have some extra parts to test out with I would just submit the RMA.

There are other threads about the TX-series having issues with the X9SCM, as they don't support SSI.  The Seasonic lines most definitely do - I would not RMA the board, chances are it is fine and the PSU is simply not SSI compliant.

...so what is the fuzz about SSI compliance anyway?

I've been under the assumption that you need an EPS12V connector...with a single rail PSU, supply of current to that line should not be an issue.

Am I missing something?...is SSI a more intelligent feature, like the PSU switching on/off the line in a "coded" sequence during cold-start?..what else can be there?

Thanks PeterB,

the first thread you linked, I knew...besides from recommending PSUs that are listed as SSi compliant, it revealed not much.

The SSI forum link just adds to my confusion I must admit ;D

I am still wondering if there is a more K.I.S.S like solution...there are even ATX-EPS12V adapters out there: http://www.outletpc.com/kk7298.html

For a low TDP build, even this should deliver enough current safely.

I picked the corsair because my last supermicro board worked so well with it.

The title says,

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

A part in the newegg description says

Compatibility

Conforms to ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.3, 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards

I read somewhere that if it's EPS compliant, then it is SSI compliant.

Here's some interesting reading

http://www.powerpulse.net/techPaper.php?paperID=16&print

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247828-28-what-eps12v

I suppose if someone is using a Corsair HX650 with success, then the HX750 should be good too.

http://www.corsair.com/us/hx-series-hx750-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu.html

At the corsair site it says.

Compatibility

Conforms to ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards

There are other threads about the TX-series having issues with the X9SCM, as they don't support SSI.  The Seasonic lines most definitely do - I would not RMA the board, chances are it is fine and the PSU is simply not SSI compliant.

I thought that thread mentioned the CX series.

I have had one HX hooked up to a Supermicro board without issue.  I built that server for a customer quite a while back.  He was running on the X8SIL board though.  I did just upgrade him to the X9SCM and everything seemed to work just fine.

I don't usually use the HX line but instead the TX and have never had a problem with any TX powering up a X9SCM or even the newer X9SCM-IIF-O

I read somewhere that if it's EPS compliant, then it is SSI compliant.

Here's some interesting reading

http://www.powerpulse.net/techPaper.php?paperID=16&print

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247828-28-what-eps12v

I suppose if someone is using a Corsair HX650 with success, then the HX750 should be good too.

http://www.corsair.com/us/hx-series-hx750-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu.html

At the corsair site it says.

Compatibility

Conforms to ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 standards, and is backward compatible with the ATX12V 2.2 and ATX12V 2.01 standards

I feel desperate as not being able to help the OP as I don't own that board (yet).

But I can see myself go for a similar setup in the near future, so I'd rather have this closed in my own interest.

I am running a X8SIL-F with a "Super Flower Golden KING PRO SF600P14PE", which claims to supply "EPS 4+4pin" connectors, without issues.

The manufacturer's site http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=1&ID=85〈=en

says "Compliance with ATX 12V v2.2, EPS 12V v2.91 and SSI EPS 12V v2.92 Specification"

No matter how I twist and turn all this information and named standards...all I understand of what it should take to get this working

is to use the proper sized/matched connector/plug (EPS-8pin) with correct wiring for ground and +12V  :o

Anyone (with a PSU confirmed NOT to work) wants to try and go for one of these ATX-EPS adapters?

What does help is listing what power supplies people do have working reliably.

So far it looks as though the Corsair TX and HX do work.

I'm on the fence with purchasing a Seasonic X650, but by the time it gets here, I may not be able to RMA the board.

I may take apart my work computer that has a 550W EPS/SSI power supply working with a Supermicro X5DAL.

right....

The fact that many users will have to face/solve that issue will eventually lead to the PSU manufacturers going to adopt..so EPS/SSI will become widely available / standard, I hope.

??? ....so on your individual problem, you think that your HX or what part might be the cause?

If you are right with the Corsair HX models being compatible, your case is having a different root cause...could be the CPU not being seated correctly, even.

right....

The fact that many users will have to face/solve that issue will eventually lead to the PSU manufacturers going to adopt..so EPS/SSI will become widely available / standard, I hope.

??? ....so on your individual problem, you think that your HX or what part might be the cause?

If you are right with the Corsair HX models being compatible, your case is having a different root cause...could be the CPU not being seated correctly, even.

It could, I just removed the CPU, checked the pins everything looks good. I cleared the CMOS and everything.

I decided to RMA the board before waiting for a new PSU.

I may choose to order a Seasonic X650 and a new board for another build. I may test the HX vs the Seasonic.

Thing is, I wanted to have a second micro build, just not this soon.

I know it's a fairly obvious one, but you definitely plugged in all 8 ports of the 2nd EPS connector on the motherboard right?  Not just 4 like you might do on some consumer desktop boards?

Yes,  There was only 1 8 port plug and I'm familiar with the technology. I've been running dual xeon's for many years and those motherboards all had the requires SSI/EPS12V requirements too.

I pulled everything out and reseated, even laid it all flat on my desk. 

The corsair HX has the 20+4 and 8 PIN connected directly into the PSU, so you cannot make a mistake and forget to plug it in there.

Given all the evidence, my gut feeling is that you have a faulty mobo, in which case the rma should solve your issue.

However, I don't think you would ever regret buying a Seasonic psu.

I had umpteen spares before the hurricane, I was kicking myself in the ass this weekend knowing that I had all these spares and now I have to actually buy a new one!

My Seasonics have always been reliable.  Then again the corsair I had in the 20 driver server was very reliable too!

I've been trying all day to get my Supermicro X9SCM to boot up.

X9SCM-F

E3-1230

4 sticks of Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Server Hynix M Model KVR13E9/8HM.

Corsair HX 750.

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread

Do you have an E3-1230 v2?

They require bios rev 2.0

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCM-F.cfm

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/BIOS_Upgrade_Instruction_E3-1200_V2.pdf

Archived