Disk 3 keeps failing after upgrading to unraid 6

drumstyk1

I'm not sure where to start on this. I have been running v5b11 since it came out and haven't had issues. I upgraded to v6 and my disk 3 failed. I purchased a replacement, precleared it 3 cycles without issue, and popped it in my disk 3 slot. Unraid snapped into action to rebuild it. Once it was back online (everything green again), I noticed that I could not access my shares. I could pull up my shares in finder (mac) but each one appeared to be empty. I began researching the reiserfsk tree rebuilding but a scan of 1 of my drives came back with 0 corruption issues so i did not proceed with a rebuild. Now my disk 3 (brand new, precleared x3) has failed again after being installed for a day or 2. I started a parity check at some point and the errors counter flew through the roof. My parity drive is newest of the bunch so i doubt that it's the culprit. Would anyone have an idea of where to start to troubleshoot this? I have 1 particular drive that has very important data on it that I desperately do not want to lose.

SAS controller: Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Mobo: Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O

Here is my log: http://pastebin.com/t470gzJp

Other hardware info that may be useful:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 05)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b5)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C204 Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
01:00.0 RAID bus controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. MV64460/64461/64462 System Controller, Revision B (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
04:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

Screen_Shot_2015-10-31_at_7_02.26_PM.png.1aa96921675fbf005e0eb43fa3201dd7.png

My first suggestion would be to open the case up and double check that all of the cables are securely seated on at the drive and the controller end.  Make sure the SATA data cable is not the latching type.  (WD made a mechanical design change to their drives which prevents latching SATA cables from making a secure electrical connection.)

My first suggestion would be to open the case up and double check that all of the cables are securely seated on at the drive and the controller end.  Make sure the SATA data cable is not the latching type.  (WD made a mechanical design change to their drives which prevents latching SATA cables from making a secure electrical connection.)

If the breakout cables go to a hotswap cage, then it's not an issue.  But if they go directly to the drive, you've got to make sure that the breakouts are to spec.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36065.0

...  I have 1 particular drive that has very important data on it that I desperately do not want to lose.

Anything you "... desperately do not want to lose ..." should absolutely be backed up !!

Actually your entire server should be backed up ... UnRAID (or any RAID system for that matter) is NOT a backup.  But if you're not backing up the full server, you should certainly be backing up anything you "... desperately do not want to lose." !!

Anything you "... desperately do not want to lose ..." should absolutely be backed up !!

Actually your entire server should be backed up ... UnRAID (or any RAID system for that matter) is NOT a backup.  But if you're not backing up the full server, you should certainly be backing up anything you "... desperately do not want to lose." !!

Very true. I do have a cloud backup of about 95% of that data so it wouldn't be the end of the world. I tinkered last night and figured out that i could access the data on disk 4 and disk 5 directly rather than through the share. I was able to grab the most important files. (I'm a wedding photographer) I know this is TMI but i do keep 3 copies of all my project files until they are delivered to my clients, then I archive to unraid and periodically sync that to the cloud. These images were delivered to my clients already so i would have been ok but my copies would have been lost forever.

If the breakout cables go to a hotswap cage, then it's not an issue.  But if they go directly to the drive, you've got to make sure that the breakouts are to spec.  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36065.0

I will go ahead and open my case up and check. Thank you!

Ok, i checked my connections and they all seem to be solid. I have a sas cable servicing parity, disk1, disk2, and disk3, and then a separate sas cable for disk 4 and 5. Here is a photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxKMUqtDPm-yLTQtYnBhZTB3dDg/view?usp=sharing

For kicks, i moved my faulty disk3 to another slot on a different sas cable and it still shows up faulty. Im guessing this is because unraid is remembering the drives ID as redballed?

Correct

You would have to stop the array set the disk to be not installed.  Start the array, stop the array.  Set the disk back.  Then start and it will begin to rebuild

Ok, I rebuilt the drive in a different hdd bay with a different SAS cable. It said it was successful and stayed up about a day before redballing again. This is the brand new replacement drive that passed 3 preclear cycles. The drive failed in the middle of a non-correcting parity check. I'm not sure if that's related or not. I am attaching a new log. Any insight or troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jarvis-diagnostics-20151103-0820.zip

Archived