how-to Twonky Media Server

This explains how to do the initial setup of Twonkymedia server.

From http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/TwonkyMedia/index.html

Download the Linux x86(manual install) file, currently named "rio07twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.zip"

Unzip...

Copy all files (keeping the directory structure) onto the flashdrive, i.e. /tower/flash/twonkyvision.

In the end of the GO script on the flash add the line: /boot/twonkymedia/twonkymedia

Reboot the server, or telnet and issue the command:

View your media using the Twonky Media Browser: http://tower:9000

The media browser is fairly primitiv, but a good test before setting up your Vista media player, Xbox og Nero Home.

To configure, press the config icon, or use: http://tower:9000/configpage/index.htm

added to Wiki.

/Rene

"Other peoples time. Of that, I got plenty".

Wow, neat idea, I never thought of installing Twonky straight on the flash.

A couple of questions:

1. How much space is needed on the flash for the install?

2. Does it handle all of the transcoding (i.e. DiVX to MPG2) as the windows version does for the xbox 360?

I was going to mess with getting Transcode 360 running again (horribly supported), but this may be a better, simpler solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some further instructions.

I pulled down the file and put it on the flash, but where is the "go script"?  I see one in /var/tmp and another in /var/log, I don't see one specifically on the flash drive when I look at it through windows.

Cheers,

Bill

\\tower\flash\config\ look for the file named go.

it is a hidden file.

/rene

Thanks, but of no help.

Start at the beginning.  I tried telnet and moving the flash back to my PC.  No such path.  Via telnet, those obviously don't make sense because the slashes are the wrong way, so I don't think you mean that to be a Unix path.  From windows, I get "directory not found" when going through a webbrowser and my flash's directly has a config file, but there do not seem to be any hidden files in there.

Do I need to login directly to the unraid box?  I have no keyboard or monitor there.

Hmmm.  Interesting, I go back to my zipped file of the unraid software and I find files in the config file there that are not on my flash (go, disk.cfg, ident.cfg, license, network.cfg, and share.cfg) .  Strange, since my Unraid is working just fine.

I am confuzzled.

Thanks,

Bill

Go to the Unraid administration webpage, shares tab, set flashshare to "export, read/write"

voila the flash is now a shared drive and you can access it.

/Rene

Already is, I have my system set to show hidden files/folders, and it is blank.  Weirder and weirder ....

I will try manually moving over the files from my original download of 4.0.

BTW, thanks for helping out.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Pondering this since the 360 now plays DIVX and XVID, anyone using it and any issue with memory etc? 360 still will not play MKV or DVD but it might be interesting to play with. Is swap needed? Running a gig of memory but my music collection is over 100Gigs and my DVD collection is quite large too, concerned what will occur if it tries to index...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at the Twonkymedia install file, I found:

If you are running a Debian distribution on a 64 bit architecture, it

is possible that you need to install the 32 bit compatibility

libraries. In this case invoke:

"apt-get install ia32-libs"

also, http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3850&p=14872&hilit=libgcc#p14872

suggests the same thing.

I have an AMD 64bit processor installed...

I downloaded the ia32-libs_2.2_amd64.deb file onto my flash drive, BUT how do I install a .DEB?

Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally go this somewhat up and running.  My pPS3 sees the server and I can see my movie folders.  But I can't seem to see any of the files in the folders.  How does one configure Twonky to see the video_ts files to start a movie.  I can't find any documentation that explains any of this and I checked the twonky site.

I can see a tab called video but I have no idea what to do there.

All my movies are stored on my Unraid server in a folder structure such as

The Godfather

\video_ts\

then all the vob files and video_ts.ifo

Can anyone provide any hellp?

Ok I got it to see my movie folders but I'm having a whole set of problems.  I'd like to know if anyone here got this working corectly.

When viewing the folders from my PS3 I get the folder name (which is the movie), then the video_ts folder, then a list of the vob files.  No video_ts.ifo or image shown.  Not only that but I have to say the upconversion from the PS3 is horrible compared to my HTPC.

Does anyone know if tversit works with unraid?

• 8 months later...

If you want to install the Twonky Media Server on the Media Vault, please follow the steps below.    This is the 30-day trial of version 4.4 of the mipsel-glibc-2.2.3 code which is the latest version available for the HP Media Vault.  You can always check Twonky's site to look for a newer version, but it may not be as stable as version 4.4. The Twonky Media Server is compiled for many different architectures.  You will need the 'mipsel', also called the Linux MIPS little endian architecture, and compiled for glibc version 2.2.3.  The file should have 'mipsel' and 'glibc-2.2.3' in its file name.

by: IP PBX

• 1 year later...

Using the original post as inspiration, I got the current version of TwonkyServer (v6.0.28) up and running fairly quickly.

A few points worth noting:

- Modify the work dir variable in the included controll script twonkymedia.sh. Change WORKDIR1="/usr/local/twonkymedia" to WORKDIR1="/boot/custom/twonkymedia"

(Asuming you install to /boot/custom/twonkymedia)

- Add the controll script with the stop command to the /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID script. This should make Twonky stop when the array stops, allowing for clean shutdowns. Include this in your GO script (Thanks to JoeL for teaching this stuff).

sed -i  "/Stopping unRAID./a /boot/custom/twonkymedia/twonkymedia.sh stop" /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID

- If you don't have it or something similar in your Go script already, use this to make sure the array is started before starting TwonkyServer

#####################################
###  Wait for the array to start  ###
#####################################

# (before installing any packages that may expect the array to be fully started)
until `cat /proc/mdcmd 2>/dev/null | grep -q -a "STARTED" ` ; do echo ">>>waiting..." ; sleep 1 ; done ; echo ">>>STARTED."

- Start Twonky in your GO script with the included controll script:  

# Start TwonkyServer (DLNA)
/boot/custom/twonkymedia/twonkymedia.sh start

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a very stupid question and I'm sure it is. I have a license for Twonky. Installed via the instructions in this thread but the problem is...When the server reboots I have to re-enter the registration number and any settings I had changed. I know there is a way of dumping this information from RAM onto the flash drive for the reboot...I can't find it. Any help? Or do I just have to just have to keep entering it with every reboot?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

This explains how to do the initial setup of Twonkymedia server.

From http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/TwonkyMedia/index.html

Download the Linux x86(manual install) file, currently named "rio07twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.zip"

Unzip...

Copy all files (keeping the directory structure) onto the flashdrive, i.e. /tower/flash/twonkyvision.

In the end of the GO script on the flash add the line: /boot/twonkymedia/twonkymedia

Reboot the server, or telnet and issue the command:

View your media using the Twonky Media Browser: http://tower:9000

The media browser is fairly primitiv, but a good test before setting up your Vista media player, Xbox og Nero Home.

To configure, press the config icon, or use: http://tower:9000/configpage/index.htm

added to Wiki.

/Rene

"Other peoples time. Of that, I got plenty".

i followed the instructions but when reboot or if i run telnet and issue the command: /boot/twonkymedia/twonkymedia

i get this message "No such file or directory"

any help. Thank you in advance