SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 & ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3

michellembrodeur

Has any one fix this problem yet without turning of the on board sata controller and having AHCI on.

I have tried restoring defaults.

turning on AHCI and I get a black screen. left it go for about 10 minutes an nothing.

I want to use the on board and the 8 ports from the supermicro sata controller.

since I cannot fix this and no else seems to either except to buy another controller and turn off the on board sata controller.

Does any one have a 6g sata controller to by that works with modern mobo's that is around $100.00.

thanks all

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any one fix this problem yet without turning of the on board sata controller and having AHCI on.

I have tried restoring defaults.

turning on AHCI and I get a black screen. left it go for about 10 minutes an nothing.

I want to use the on board and the 8 ports from the supermicro sata controller.

since I cannot fix this and no else seems to either except to buy another controller and turn off the on board sata controller.

Does any one have a 6g sata controller to by that works with modern mobo's that is around $100.00.

thanks all

There is nothing that anyone on this forum can do about it.  Since the SASLP card works perfectly fine for others with AHCI turned on when using different motherboards it is obviously a problem with that Asus board.

Your best and only option is to bitch to asus about the problem and bug the hell out of them.

There is nothing that anyone on this forum can do about it.  Since the SASLP card works perfectly fine for others with AHCI turned on when using different motherboards it is obviously a problem with that Asus board.

Your best and only option is to bitch to asus about the problem and bug the hell out of them.

forgot to mention we also tried with a gigabyte mobo with the 890G chipset and the same problem.

It's the 890G chipset that is clashing with it. and the firmware on the supermicro card needs to be updated. we did update to the latest firmware which is only up datable on a x32 system. does not work with 64 bit systems to update it.

I've started this thread about the board and the clash with the supermicro card.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.0

It's the 890G chipset that is clashing with it. and the firmware on the supermicro card needs to be updated. we did update to the latest firmware which is only up datable on a x32 system. does not work with 64 bit systems to update it.

are you saying you updated the firmware on the supermicro card and then it worked?

Josh

forgot to mention we also tried with a gigabyte mobo with the 890G chipset and the same problem.

Since unRAID is 32bit only, there shouldn't be an issue with updating the Supermicro card's firmware. Are you talking about the .21 firmware?

Since unRAID is 32bit only, there shouldn't be an issue with updating the Supermicro card's firmware. Are you talking about the .21 firmware?

yes we updated the firmware to its latest version. from the supermicro ftp site. we had to burn the update to a cd and get a store to make us a bootable win 98 disk.

But it did not fix the problem.

so we have no choice but to turn off the on board sata and buy another card from supermicro, great scam they have. and they do not even support 64 bit. what century are they in any way?

but thanks any way everyone.

I have that combo (SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 & ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3) and they seem to be working fairly well together for me.

I tried with AHCI enabled no problem using the .15 firmware

One problem I had initially with that motherboard and any memory I put in was "semi-frequent crashes" (once every 8-16 hours or once a day) until I set the memory to DOCP with the memory's rated speed set as the (overclocked) memory rate.

Here's the link to another thread on this motherboard and AOC-SASLP-MV8 combo

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8560.msg89521#msg89521

later today I'll be clearing the array and trying another parity build and parity check ...

there is more information in that thread about my system ...

I have that combo (SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 & ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3) and they seem to be working fairly well together for me.

I tried with AHCI enabled no problem using the .15 firmware

So you are finding that the motherboard will work with SATA controllers on in AHCI if the supermicro card is with firmware .15?

I had the latest .21 firmware installed from the start and it hasn't worked for me.

Thanks Josh

I'll double check on the next reboot what firmware is on the AOC-SASLP-MV8 ... and the BIOS version loaded on the motherboard.

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 firmware is 3.1.0.15N

The Motherboard BIOS version is 1606

Also I have Express Gate installed on the Windows 7 drive ...I'm not sure if that would have an effect either.

my motherboard has the latest BIOS and I have the AOC SASLP-MV8 card in the "primary video card" slot ... I started off with the card there so I would know if the motherboard would work with three cards as sometimes only video cards work in that slot.

I'm just wiping the drives now so I can do a new parity rebuild and then a parity check.

syslog from parity build and parity check attached

syslog-m4a89gtdprousb3-supermicro-aoc-saslp-mv8-paritybuild-paritycheck-2010-12-15.txt

I have two MV8 on my motherboard. I have no hdd attached to the motherboard or MV8.

I turn on the motherboard. The Asus logo comes up then goes and then a black screen comes up saying that the MV8 is resetting, then it says "spinning up the drives". Then the second MV8 does the same.

And then the Asus logo screen comes up and it doesn't go away. At this point I can't do anything and it seems that the motherboard has locked up. I have to turn the motherboard off to fix it.

Is this what happens to you Josh or anyone else who is having problems?

Thanks,

I'll have to try downgrading the firmware. About the only thing I haven't tried.

I don't suppose anyone knows if anything will go wrong with that?

Thanks Josh

Hi,

1st post here.... I registered to post since I'm having problems with the SASLP and the same Asus mobo.  Did you downgrade the SASLP's firmware?  Did it work?  I'm pulling my hair out 'cause I can't get the system to boot with AHCI enabled.  =[  I have SASLP w/ 3.1.0.21 firmware and only time it'll boot is when the bios is set to IDE mode.

JB

I have two MV8 on my motherboard. I have no hdd attached to the motherboard or MV8.

I turn on the motherboard. The Asus logo comes up then goes and then a black screen comes up saying that the MV8 is resetting, then it says "spinning up the drives". Then the second MV8 does the same.

And then the Asus logo screen comes up and it doesn't go away. At this point I can't do anything and it seems that the motherboard has locked up. I have to turn the motherboard off to fix it.

Yeah... it's the same problem I'm having as well as Josh.  Did you change the bios sata mode to AHCI when you tried to boot?  My system will only boot when the sata ports are set to IDE with the SASLP card installed.  I've contacted Asus customer service regarding this and no response yet.  Sigh.  :-[

JB

Yes that is what happens. Basically this is my understanding (correct me if i'm wrong) AHCI is for SATA control of HDD, If you run in IDE there will be speed limits.

I'm running the 3.1.0.21 firmware on the cards. I've just received the 3.1.0.15 firmware from supermicro but I don't have time to try it out at the moment. (Also not quite sure where to start).

According to  perfessor

I'll double check on the next reboot what firmware is on the AOC-SASLP-MV8 ... and the BIOS version loaded on the motherboard.

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 firmware is 3.1.0.15N

The Motherboard BIOS version is 1606

Also I have Express Gate installed on the Windows 7 drive ...I'm not sure if that would have an effect either.

my motherboard has the latest BIOS and I have the AOC SASLP-MV8 card in the "primary video card" slot ... I started off with the card there so I would know if the motherboard would work with three cards as sometimes only video cards work in that slot.

I'm just wiping the drives now so I can do a new parity rebuild and then a parity check.

syslog from parity build and parity check attached

It should work with the older firmware.

If someone wants the firmware to try sooner, pm me and I'll email it.

Josh

...I'm running the 3.1.0.21 firmware on the cards. I've just received the 3.1.0.15 firmware from supermicro but I don't have time to try it out at the moment. (Also not quite sure where to start).

It should work with the older firmware.

If someone wants the firmware to try sooner, pm me and I'll email it.

Josh

Hehe... I just got an email from SM saying that "Didn't I just sent you the 15 firmware?"  cause I also emailed SM about getting a 15 firmware to test out.  LOL

I'll send you a PM and send me the 15 firmware pls (still waiting for a reply back from SM regarding the 15 firmware)... I want to test this out.  Thanks.

JB

LOL.

Josh, I got the same email reply back from Asus.  Looks like canned message.  Bahhh...

------------

fm Asus Tech Support:

Hello,

This boards shawdow ROM which is a portion of the BIOS that allows add on cards in not big enough to support AHCI/RAID. You will only be able to use this card with the settings of IDE.

Best Regards,

Rob

Asus Tech Support

---------------------------

Gonna try the 3.1.0.15N firmware on the card tonight.  Going to have to create a bootable USB to install it thought.  Hmmmm....

JB

Update:

Yay!!!  I updated/changed the SASLP firmware from 3.1.0.21 to 3.1.0.15N and changed the mobo bios to AHCI mode... viola!!!  system boots into WHS with the SASLP in PCI-Ex16 slot 2 (blue one).   :D

I'm was wondering what the Asus tech support said... "option rom isn't big enough"... the 3.1.0.21 firmware size is twice as big as the 3.1.0.15N firmware.  Thus, mobo bios was able to load the SASLP rom and pass on the boot sequence back to mobo to continue the boot process.  Whew!  Thanx ALOT to the OP regarding the old firmware.  Now, my system is setup for WHS in AHCI mode (all 6 sata ports) and SASLP fully working.  Only thing bad (not really...) about the system is that the AMD AHCI driver is actually a RAID driver so it does not pass on the SMART data!  Gah...  :-[

UPDATE 2:

How to downgrade SASLP firmware to 3.1.0.15N (I'm using Windows 7 to make the ubcd usb but should work in any OS?)  I used this http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html to add a FreeDOS user customization menu option.  Scroll down to "Adding FreeDOS-based applications" and DL CabPack V1.4a as well.

1. DL ubcd503.iso and extract the contents to /ubcd dir of your choice

2. Extract CabPack V1.4a to <any dir of your choice>

3. Follow the above guide to make the USB flashdrive bootable and install ubcd to the USB drive (use the Making UBCD memory stick section)

3a. Just need to modify custom.ini and custom.cfg files... skip the rest of stuff

4. Boot the system with the USB drive

5. Select User-Defined menu option

5a. At the boot menu, select 1 Boot UMBPCI (silent) option

6. Select your SASLP selection you've created in 2

6a. Once the start.bat finishes (I put that file in there... it's basically dummy file with ECHO commands), select "exit" at the UBCD popup window and you'll be in the dos prompt.

7. Flash the 3.1.0.15N firmware (execute smc-n.bat file) and reboot

8. Change settings in mobo bios and boot the system

Here's my custom.cfg file:

------------------------------------------------------------------

#

# Useful resources for UBCD customization:

#

# - http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_SYSLINUX_Project

# - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html

#

MENU INCLUDE /ubcd/menus/syslinux/defaults.cfg

UI /boot/syslinux/menu.c32

LABEL -

MENU LABEL ..

COM32 /boot/syslinux/menu.c32

APPEND /ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg

LABEL -

MENU LABEL SASLP V3.1.0.15N

TEXT HELP

SASLP Firmware Update

ENDTEXT

LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk

INITRD /ubcd/images/fdubcd.img.gz

APPEND raw ubcdcmd=saslp

LABEL -

MENU LABEL Your own boot image here

TEXT HELP

Your help message goes here.

ENDTEXT

LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk

INITRD /ubcd/custom/boot.img

APPEND -

Here's my custom.ini file:

[user Defined]

saslp; "start.bat"; -$;SASLP firmware update

;D

*** I named the cab file saslp.cab and put the file in /ubcd/ubcd/dosapps ***

Now, all I need to figure out is how to get smart data from AMD AHCI drivers.  There's known issue where AMD AHCI driver is an actual RAID driver, thus SMART data doesn't get passed on.  Sigh...  :-[

JB

The really bad thing is WHS dropped Drive Extender completely from their current (upcoming) version "Vail". So you have no way of protecting your data unless you use addon hardware raid cards or software addons that will protect your data.

Though you could always run the old version of WHS which has file mirroring.

The really bad thing is WHS dropped Drive Extender completely from their current (upcoming) version "Vail". So you have no way of protecting your data unless you use addon hardware raid cards or software addons that will protect your data.

Though you could always run the old version of WHS which has file mirroring.

Yeah, I know.  Kinda sux in a way.  But I'm still setting up WHSv1 system with DE and manage the disks in WHSv1.  I'm going to have duplication turned on certain things (photos and music mainly).  As for the movies, I'm going to use FlexRaid (use multiple parity drives as I add more drives to the system).  I know this is unRaid forum so don't flame me.  LOL

JB

Yeah, I know.  Kinda sux in a way.  But I'm still setting up WHSv1 system with DE and manage the disks in WHSv1.  I'm going to have duplication turned on certain things (photos and music mainly).  As for the movies, I'm going to use FlexRaid (use multiple parity drives as I add more drives to the system).  I know this is unRaid forum so don't flame me.  LOL

JB

No worries on the flames, we are pretty reasonable around here, plus you have probably solved a problem that others (even ones that are using unRAID) will come across.

As for running WHSv1 have fun and good luck.  If you ever want to try out unRAID at least you know your hardware should work.

Why did you flash with the smc-n.bat file as opposed to the below as per the manual?

3-5 Flashing Firmware

Follow the procedure below to flash firmware to the BIOS.

Flashing Firmware:

1. Boot the system to DOS.

2. Flash the BIOS using the mvf.exe file with the following command at the DOS

prompt (where *** represents the name of the bin file used):

a:\>mvf ***.bin

This automatically flashes the BIOS.

3. When the flashing is completed, reboot the system.

The new firmware is now flashed to your system’s BIOS.

Thanks Josh

Archived